Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uclaros

Midi & power over the same cable?

4 posts in this topic

Hi!

I want to modify my POD's midi out so it will send power to my pedalboard over the midi cable's 2 unused leads.

Will there be a problem with interference to the midi signal?

Is it better to pass AC or DC? It will be about 12-15V. Or maybe 5v DC.

Are there some devices that have the two unused pins of the midi plug connected to something (maybe ground?) so I might have a problem connecting POD to them?

Thanks.

ps. my main concern is interference and connecting to a PC. I will probably never connect it to something else that I haven't built it myself!

uclaros

Hi uclaros,

appart from the high danger of destroying other MIDI interfaces like you've already mentioned, I don't see problems.

I would suggest 5V DC. 12-15V will heat up the 7805 too much

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You may wish to carefully modify the midi sockets & plugs used for feeding the power between the units in such a way that they can't accidentally be connected to other midi devices directly.

One way is to put a screw through part of the rim of the socket; sich that it obstructs thee usual midi cable from been plugged in. However -  with the ones for the link; take a notch out of the rim such that it allows the plug to be pushed in as normal.

Another way around this; is to switch the connectors for some with the same panel mounting patterns - but a different pin layout. ie:din sockets alike those used on 1960/70's hifis to connect to the tape deck.