AOUT problem

Julian

after finishing my aout yesterday evening,  i found  an error today :(

the 2 gates work fine.

CV1 also.

but CV2 is controlled by Chanel 3

the other CV's just make what they want . alot of channels affect each other, but in no reasonable way :(

i checked so far:

connection between core and AOUT  - OK

connection to the jacks                        - OK

also measured the test points on the aout  - OK

solder side of the AOUT module    - OK

meanwhile i also resoldered every connection between the core and the AOUT...  could it be some kind of software problem? do i have to activate the AOUT somewhere in the code to obtain a propper working CV?

hmmm, think I'm going to study the datasheets of the IC's from the AOUT module... maybe that helps...

any ideas where should i look for the error??

so long,

julian

Hi Julian,

which application controls the AOUT module?

If you are using MIDIbox SEQ, then take care for the special MIDI channel->AOUT routing which is described at the bottom of this page: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_options.html

So long the gates and the first channel are working, the interconnections between core and AOUT are ok.

I would continue with the MAX525 outputs, they can be measured from the jumper sockets (voltage range: 0..2.048V)

Results?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

yes!

the midi channel -> aout routing...

definitely something I didn't regarded. That explains why CV2 is controlled by channel 3 ;)

but if I get it right this time *G* my AOUT still isn't working as it should.

I'm using the SEQ_v2 application exactly like yours ;)

Chanel 1-8 are working great for CV 1,3,5,7

but the CV's 2,4,6,8 just give short "trigger like" signals, not affekted by the value of the step.

the same happens for the chanels 9-16. The right CV is responding, but also just gives a short trigger pulse not regarding the set value. here all CV's are affected by the problem.

I'll measure the voltages on the jumpers (AOUT) soon and post my results.

further is the pitch of the working CV's affected by the LED's. When I light some LED's the pitch of the CV goes down :(

PSU problem I think  (Aout and Core use the same PSU)

i measured the voltage at the Jumpers (between the MAX and the LM324)  from the non working CV's

it's 2,06 V all the Time (for the CV's 2,4,6,8) even when the CV isn't selected by any chanel.

further i'd like to know where i have to connect the gate 3 and 4 mentioned in the routing scheme... i thought so far only 2 gates where available?

thanks for the help,

julian

Hi Julian,

but the CV's 2,4,6,8 just give short "trigger like" signals, not affekted by the value of the step.

I guess that you assigned the AOUTs to channel 1-4. In this case CV 2/4/6/8 output the velocity parameter (just select Layer B, press "All" and "Fast", and modifiy the velocity values)

the same happens for the chanels 9-16. The right CV is responding, but also just gives a short trigger pulse not regarding the set value. here all CV's are affected by the problem.

here the same: the "second MIDI byte" (see documentation) is located in Layer B

further is the pitch of the working CV's affected by the LED's. When I light some LED's the pitch of the CV goes down

yes, this must be a PSU problem - simplest solution: for the LM324 just use the same transformer like for your synths. You can power the OP amps from +/- 5V to +/- 15V

further i'd like to know where i have to connect the gate 3 and 4 mentioned in the routing scheme... i thought so far only 2 gates where available?

see ToDo List ;-)

(the next release will route gate #3 and #4 to free IO pins of the PIC)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

hurray!!!!

It's working! (and it was working all the time *dough*)

it's scary! slowly my soldering skills are better than my intelectual abilities ;)

normaly I know what my module should do, but it has a short on the PCB when it doesn't work, hehe

oh it's so much fun having a sequencer, i can't stop smiling and dance through the room to my funky sequencer lines =D

I think i gonna write something about the AOUT in the WIKI...

thanks TK!!!

best,

julian

Hi Julian,

yes, this is normal. I haven't found a fast solution yet which allows to check the gate flags of the alternative track (problem is, that the morph function has to work stable even if all 16 tracks are morphed in parallel, therefore especially this part has to work as fast as possible)

Best Regards, Thorsten.