a few more q's

d2k

Hi...

100+ posts and still no MB :(, oh well i'm learnin!

It's getting to the time to make the pcbs - finally ;) and I've a few q's before i get manic on the ferric cholride...

I've already got some dbl sided boards that fit the ain/din/dout modules and my pot/button/led boards nicely. Should i leave one side unetched to act as a heatsink/ground plane?

I'm making 3 seperates boxes to start with (instead doin the one mega box as said b4). This will be 2 MB64's and 1 MBLC (waiting for the NG rollout). I've one MIDI i/o and am wondering the best way of connecting it all together. I also have a controller KB. What I'm thinking is this:

PC MIDI OUT > KB > MB64-1 > MB64-2 > PC MIDI IN

MBLC > PC COM IN

Does that sound sensible?

I'll also be adding a dual SIDbox unit soon too ;) I guess I could put this between MB64-2 > PC MIDI IN, tho it's prolly time to invest in midi interface...

Oh, and on another tip - Is it ok to use LEDs with voltages rated at 2+?

Cheers...

Dan

Hi Dan,

double sided boards are suboptimal, since a second layout mask for the upper side is absolutely required in order to prevent short circuits around the drill holes! So, either you should remove (etch) the whole copper plane of the upper side, or you could modify the top layers of the eagle files so that they replace the required bridges (but the effort is higher than just soldering the bridges)

The MIDI chains are ok so long as your controller keyboard comes with an internal MIDI merger function (hopefully...), otherwise the MIDI data coming from the PC MIDI port will not be forwarded to the MIDIboxes - however, this is only required for SysEx configuration and for the case that you plan to use the soft-overtake feature.

The SID should be directly connected to the Thru port of your MIDI controller keyboard for the lowest latency. The parameters can be controlled on this way: MB64 > PC MIDI IN > MIDI-OX Thru Function > PC MIDI Out > KB Thru > SID - on this way also the JSynth editor can be used in parallel

A two-way connection to the SID isn't required unless you plan to read out the BankStick

LEDs with higher voltages should be ok, possibly you have to reduce the value of the 220 Ohm series resistor on the DOUT module if the LEDs are not bright enough.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ye, sounds a fair bit more work when just a few bridges is all that's needed as you say - single sided all the way then...

I also made a cheap bubble etch tray today based on the design found here:

http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volumes/voliii/equipmnt/bubltank/bubltank.htm

Note: this link may already have been posted, but still a goodun none the less...

I'm just using a large footpump (pumps air both ways) to get the air in, it works a treat ;)

Yup the cs1x merges just dandy, so that should be cool...

LED issue - sorted ;)

Thanks man - all this help is truly appreciated...;)

Peace...

D