Ableton Live trigger idea.

Hello Everyone,

I have been trying to figure out a way to create relative triggers in Ableton Live. Here is what I have come up with, but I wanted to ask what it would take before I started building it.  If this works it will be part of a larger 3 core midi box, but I will only explain the part I am confused about.

For those not familiar with Live's scene navigations, it will allow you to assign a controler to scroll up and down through the scenes, the controller can be a pot, endless rotary or buttons.  What I am hoping to do is create 16 trigger buttons for triggering the tracks, 1 knob that will scroll up and down in live. So will it be possible for me to make the knob send cc's to live, but also somehow reassign what cc's the triggers are sending? I figured it might be possible to have the midibox scroll through snapshots as it is also scrolling through live, thus keeping the assigned cc's on the midi box in sync with the selected scene in live. Seems to me like it would get complicated though because if i read it correctly the midibox64e has 128 digi ins, so that would allow for about 6 different sets of cc assignments (I will need to use some other buttons). So it would have to scroll through the 6, then jump to the next bankstick and scroll through the next 6 and so on.

WIll this work? Has anyone else come up witha a good way to have lots of trigger assignments in live with only 16 trigger buttons?

Thanks for such a great project!

Luke

Very cool,

I thought about it some more, and I guess all my app would have to be able to do is have one pot send a cc value to live, and also move to the next snapshot in the MB at the same time. Is this possible with the current mb64e app?

Thanks,

Luke

Hi Luke,

this could be realized with meta events in mb64e_meta.inc:

MB64E_META_Handler
        ;; branch depending on the first meta event byte
        movf    MIDI_EVNT0, W
andlw 0x0f
        JUMPTABLE_2BYTES 2    ; 2 entries
        rgoto  MB64E_META_Handler_00
        rgoto  MB64E_META_Handler_01

;; Meta Event F0 xx: Send CC #xx and increment bank
MB64E_META_Handler_00
movlw 0xb0
call MIOS_MIDI_TxBufferPut
movf MIDI_EVNT1, W
movf MIDI_EVNT_VALUE
goto MB64E_SFB_Handler_02_12 ; (increment without overflow)

;; Meta Event F1 xx: Send CC #xx and decrement bank
MB64E_META_Handler_01
movlw 0xb0
movf MIDI_EVNT1, W
movf MIDI_EVNT_VALUE
goto MB64E_SFB_Handler_02_10 ; (decrement without overflow)
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly there is already a way to do it in live really easily without custom code in midibox.

You can map midi events to trigger each track of the current selection within live, so that the same midi event will trigger the tracks clip in the currently selected scene.

Activate midi mapping in live and look at the bottom of the clip boxes, a new line will have appeared that allows you to allocate relative triggers - move up and down a scene, and trigger each tracks clip for the current scene.

HTH

Nick

Hi guys, just joined the forum. :)

I am an avid user of live as well and am entertaining thoughts of building a midi box for it.  I tell you what, it seems I learn something new about Live everyday.  This relative clip button thingy just made me say "hah!" out loud to myself.  I consider myself pretty fluent in Live, but this is new to me too. :)

Forums rock!

Jon

• 1 month later...
I am an avid user of live as well and am entertaining thoughts of building a midi box for it.  I tell you what, it seems I learn something new about Live everyday.  This relative clip button thingy just made me say "hah!" out loud to myself.  I consider myself pretty fluent in Live, but this is new to me too

Holy Sh*t  :o I've been using Live too for a long time and I NEVER knew this (I've seen the extra box show up when making MIDI assignments but never explored it. This is a great feature...