labeling discrepencies in the OPL3 module board

Davo

I just got some more boards from Smash today.  Among them is the OPL3 module.  I noticed something odd that nobody else has mentioned: the silkscreen does not agree with the schematics or Smash's part list ???.  In particular, find C3 and C4 in the schematic (top middle).  Now find them on the board (just right of the LED in the lower left corner).  Notice that C3 in the schematic is an electrolytic and C4 is nonpolarized.  Now look at the board and see that the roles are reversed.  C5 and C6 are also swapped.

Some more discrepencies :o:

C19, C20, C21 and C22 are shown on the OPL3 module page as being electrolytic, probably 10uF.  The schematics, however, show C19 and C21 as being .1uF ceramics.  Now looking at the schematic, those capacitors seem to be C31, C32, C33, and C34.

In the schematic, C23 is ceramic and sits next to C24, an electrolytic. On the silkscreen, C23 is an electrolytic and is nowhere near C24, which is still electrolytic.

In the schematic, R1 is the 220 ohm resistor tied to the LED.  On the silkscreen, this resistor is R23.

There are assorted other weird number switches.  I thought this might have been a bad batch, but I see that this: http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/images/OPL3R1qv.gif is also incorrect.  Would someone please tell me what the correct silkscreen is?  I've already soldered the surface-mount parts on and I'd rather not do that again.

Hi Davo,

I also got my boards from Smash yesterday (Thanks btw, great quality :) ) and noticed these errors while building the board. With help of the schematic, I compiled this list:

+------------+------------------------------------+-----+
|C1,4,6,7,11,| \               /                  |     |
|19,20,21,22,| Electrolytic Cap 10µF              | 15  |
|23,24,28,29,| 10uF - 35v                         |     |
|31,33       | /               \                  |     |
|C2,3,5,25,26| Ceramic Cap 100nF=.1µF             |  9  |
|27,30,32,34 | /               \                  |     |
|C8,12       | Ceramic Cap 68 pF                  |  2  |
|C9,10,13,14 | Ceramic Cap 2.7 nF                 |  4  |
|C15,16,17,18| Ceramic Cap 100 pF                 |  4  |

So just the numbers are wrong. the form of the parts print is correct, every electrolytic sign has an electrolytic cap on it. The numbers of the resistors are also a bit mixed up but I didn´t write a correct list of them . If you need help, just ask.

BTW I cannot guarantee that this list is right as the box is not yet in action. I´ll tell you if it starts to burn ;)

Seppoman

whoop sorry about the bad docs guys......I don't know which gear stripped upstairs that day to cause this.....  :-[

These boards are -almost- identical to the tested version, with only minor changes for manufacturing, so the layout is tested, and while i'm sure that only my docs are flawed if there is a larger issue rest assured that i'll replace your parts, boards,- and solder time-....

Unfortunately I wont be in front of my machine again for a few hours to correct things, so i'll try to just remove that page and replace it later.

Also tonight I will build up an opl rig in hopes of fixing all of my doc errors......

best

smash

Made the doc changes on my site, I had made the partlist from the schematic, without correcting the designations on the board to match when I worked it over.....too much going on.....

Let me know if you notice any other errors, and I'll do the same.

Again my apologies for the errors and confusion......I should have stayed in bed that day, instead I took the short bus to my desk..... :)

If my flawed docs have already screwed up your build, let me know and I'll make it right......

best

Smash

It's just not good enough Smash. You're not human, you're a geekazoid, and geekazoids never make mistakes like humans do. Just ask one of my customers ;D

I know I said I was going to lay off the sarcasm but I thought a little humour might make ya feel better about this :)

Just to avoid confusion: This is a joke, I am being silly!

It's just not good enough Smash. You're not human, you're a geekazoid, and geekazoids never make mistakes like humans do. Just ask one of my customers ;D

I know I said I was going to lay off the sarcasm but I thought a little humour might make ya feel better about this :)

Just to avoid confusion: This is a joke, I am being silly!

Hehe.....Let the teasing begin...... ;)

Too bad I can't change the artwork on the board to read "Design ©2005 Thorsten Klose, Layout ©2005 D2K, Errors ©2005 SmashTV"  :)

To my customers/friends around the world assembling these boards, if my errors have caused your kit to burst into flames, caused you to question the meaning of life (42), or just not work when you are done please let me know, I want to make it right (else I won't be sleeping too well).

Best

Smash

Uh-huh?

At first, I though it was only about the bypass caps..

On the silkscreen, C23 is an electrolytic and is nowhere near C24, which is still electrolytic.

Now, I think it's more serious. Like, the output decoupling caps affected-- Yeah, they were. How did it sounds like? Muddy? Still, the board worked out ok?

People? Soldering a few SMD components and having this as the problem?

Still. Good spotting there.

Don't blame your soldering errors on Smash, Moebius

Smash is not just a human being.. he's a superhuman ;)