badly made joint on regulator

airmailed

hi i soldered up a sid board today and absent-mindedly soldered the two outside pins of the regulator before the middle pin... after about 5 attempts soldering and desoldering i got a joint which looks good on one half of the pin but with almost no solder on the other side... i was getting annoyed so i left this solder on and put some extra on the other side of the joint... i'm a bit worried about frying the ic with all this heat (and damaging the pads on the board) so if this joint on the ground pin will be ok i'd rather leave it like it is..

is this kind of joint ok on the ground pin or if i should desolder 2 of the pins and try again?

Hi,

Dirt or oxidation on the PCB?

Well, I'd desolder the whole thing, clean the PCB a bit and try again. Why? If the ground connection is lost, these regulators pass thru unregulated voltage! :P Not good.

--and also, I've been around when a "cold solder joint" in a PSU was to blame for a failure of a opamp and causing hum on a "well known brand active studiomonitor". The solder join LOOKED perfect, but as the part was a power resistor (those usually warm up a bit ;)) the years of use (and heat) revealed a problem "that wasn't there", in factory's quality control tests.

--I'd take good care soldering a component that's part of the power circuit and heats up ;D

Bye, Moebius

don't know exactly what you mean (it's early for me) but; you can visually check joints, if they are dull (compared to shiny) they are probably bad contact, too much solder is also bad (results in a "blob" of solder on top of the pad). The pad is gooduntill you lift/melt it from the board. BTW i guess the regulator can handle more heat then other components.

anyway check the connection with a multimeter and if your not satisfied, desolder (do you have a pump?)

good luck, marcel

moebius too quick again... gonna make some koffie

New WIKI entry:

http://www.avishowtech.com/midibox/wiki/index.php/Soldering

If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink.  -  Jack Handey

spin.gif

Best!     

Smash

thanks for your advice guys, i think i'll take it off and start again, it's probably not worth runing my sid for the price of a new regulator (if i need to get one)

yeah i have a pump.. i have had a few peeling pads when doing these boards, it seems that the recoil from the pump hitting the hot pad/trace can strip it off sometimes... (it's certainly also bent some very thick wires) i'm going to get some desoldering braid instead (i did see a warning about burnt fingers when using braid somewhere.. i think the solution to that is to hold the braid with pliers/tweezers)

thanks for the wikipage smash,  my experiences lately got me thinking to start something similar, looks like you got there before me ;-)

i did read a tip somewhere that the green abrasive sponge used for dishwashing was good for cleaning up pcbs.. putting them under running water at the same time.. while wearing a red hat and some ali baba slippers... i've seen some little brass brushes as well..

Soldering Iron of Justice

Smash... you slay me  ;D

Hehe, Jack Handey was credited as writing this and many other "Deep Thoughts" that ran between segments on Saturday Night Live, so the first time I saw this it was presented in a rather serious tone on national TV, and I fell out of my chair..... :D

Best!

Smash

i have had a few peeling pads when doing these boards, it seems that the recoil from the pump hitting the hot pad/trace can strip it off sometimes... (it's certainly also bent some very thick wires) i'm going to get some desoldering braid instead

Bingo! This is the very reason why I tend to recommend solder wick or similar stuff for desoldering instead of using desoldering pump if you are not being experienced in soldering. Applying a lot (well, too much) of heat will cause the pads to detach from PCB, especially if there is any force applied on pad. Yes, you can get the pads off with solder wick as well if you start rubbing it against the joint, but in my opinion it is still safer way that using a pump.

Thus a trick for using solder wick that may not be so obvious: Solder the tip of the wick strip. May sound stupid, but the wick works best when there's some solder and extra resin in it. Apply only gentle force over the wick and joint and let the wick do the magic. Never start to stir around the soldering iron! If you are able to control the temperature of your soldering iron you may also increase the temperature little for this operation. Otherwise the temperature may not spread wide enough.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Petri

thanks petri.. sounds like a tip for the soldering page... (i tried to edit it yesterday but got a php error.. not sure what was going on..)

The wiki likes to do that a lot, I installed it, it worked like it should for a day or two, since then it acts like you have seen (PHP and LDAP errors)

I am actively searching for a replacement wiki script, I have not found one yet that I could modify share the user database with the portal for login.  Login to edit is a crucial feature for the next wiki script, I'm really getting tired of cleaning up the comment spam.

There are tricks to editing the wiki, one is that you don't have to login to do it, instead of a username it tags the changes with your IP address.

If you do want your name associated with the changes, from the edit screen, put your name in the login field at the lower right, hit the button, and on the next screen press cancel.  The page you were editing will now reload (with your changes still there) but the changes will be tagged with your alias.

I know this is a sad workaround, and I am open to all suggestions on the next script for the wiki!

Best

Smash