MIOS Studio Beta4

TK.

Meeshka has written a really informative documentation about MIOS Studio and released a new version with some nice new features:

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/mios_studio/

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/mios_studio/apps/miosstudio/gui/help/index.html

Don't miss this application, compared to the old upload flow via MIDI-Ox it can save you from a lot of trouble!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi All,

New features include:

• Documentation browser built-in to MIOS Studio (same documentation is available online)
  • Ability to setup buttons to call external commands (Mobieus, now you can call MPASMWIN from within MIOS Studio  ;D)
  • More improvements to the MIDI Keyboard Controller
  • Various bug fixes and GUI clean-ups

A TODO list has been added to the MIOS Studio page (http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/mios_studio/), if anyone has suggestions or feature requests I will add them to the ever-expanding list.

Smash, did Tiger end up shipping with Java 1.5? I don't think it did, any news of when it wuill be available?

Hi All,

New features include:

• Ability to setup buttons to call external commands (Mobieus, now you can call MPASMWIN from within MIOS Studio  ;D)

Thanks, :D

Uh.. well folks-- it means that you should be able call external programs from MIOS Studio too ;)

Great work!

Bye, Moebius

Hi,

Java 1.5 is now avalible for Tiger (10.4 and above, bummer.....no 10.3) but doesn't ship as standard install.

Quote from the Apple website:

"This release of Java for Mac OS X introduces support for J2SE 5.0 onMac OS X. It features Apple’s implementation of Sun’s Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition Version 1.5.0_02."

which can be downloaded here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/java2se50release1.html

But, unfortunatly the midi port issue still seems to be there, ie the ports dont apper in the device router.

Release notes are Here:

http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/Java/Java50RN/index.html

Regards

Rowan

Hi,

Sure, if I knew how to do it, I'll have a hunt round the help files to try to find out how.

Something which may be of interest is:

"Please note that applications requiring J2SE 5.0 / JDK 1.5 must explicitly request version 1.5"

Regards

Rowan 

Hi Rowan

"Please note that applications requiring J2SE 5.0 / JDK 1.5 must explicitly request version 1.5"

I've just recompiled, targetting specifically for 1.5 - I assume that's what they mean by "explicitly request version 1.5". Can you try and download http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/mios_studio/MIOSStudio_beta4_1.jar and see if it makes a difference?

Cheers,

- Adam

Still no joy, when I remove plumstone from the Java>extetions folder the GUI works correctly, can change looks, windows dont vanish, but the MIDI interface no longer appers in the device router???

I've been reading the posts that smash made about providing a stack trace but can't make heads or tails how to do it???

Hi Rowan,

Sorry, I'm not much help with a Mac. Is there a command prompt/shell on OS-X? You just need to open it up and put in the command: java -jar path_to_jar_file/MIOSStudio_beta4_1.jar

Any errors that are thrown should be printed in the command window.

Does the beta4_1 work in conjunction with PlumStone, or only when you remove it?

- Adam

Hi,

Now the app (4 and 4_1)won't even boot with plumstone in the java extetions folder, I get this error message from the console:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.AbstractMethodError: plumstone.StoneMidiReceiver.getReceivers()Ljava/util/List;

at org.midibox.midi.MidiDeviceRouting.getReceivers(MidiDeviceRouting.java:288)

at org.midibox.midi.MidiDeviceRouting.devicesConnected(MidiDeviceRouting.java:430)

at org.midibox.midi.MidiDeviceRouting.saveDeviceConnections(MidiDeviceRouting.java:373)

at org.midibox.midi.MidiDeviceRouting.setPortsReleased(MidiDeviceRouting.java:317)

at org.midibox.apps.miosstudio.MIOSStudio.<init>(MIOSStudio.java:46)

at org.midibox.apps.miosstudio.MIOSStudio.main(MIOSStudio.java:66)

Strange, it would start before.

Give me a few mins and ill try what you sugest

Regards

Rowan  

Right, here is what I get back:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/midibox/apps/miosstudio/MIOSStudio (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)

at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)

Hope this helps

Regards

Rowan

Now this is strange????

java version "1.4.2_07"

Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_07-215)

Java HotSpot Client VM (build 1.4.2-50, mixed mode)

So it looks like I only have 1.4.2_07, even though I've installed J2SE 5 and swithced the preferences to use J2SE 5 first.

I'll have a dig round my system to see what I find

Regards

Rowan

Thought so, judging by the error message. Not sure how the mac sets up preferences, classpaths, etc., but maybe if you put the full path to the Java 1.5 executable you can make sure you are running on 1.5

eg: path_to_java_1.5_executable/java -jar path_to_jar_file/MIOSStudio_beta4_1.jar

Good news for Linux users, I haven't gotten around to upgrading my Kernel/ALSA drivers but decided to give a new-ish Ubuntu LiveCD a go... MIOS Studio is working with Linux works when Java is installed  :)

Screenshot_s.png

All seemed to be working fine, however it has alerted me to one bug - expect a new minor release in a day or so. Gotta stop using commas to delimit values... who would have thought someone would use a comma in the MIDI Port name?

• 2 weeks later...

i've noticed that some time ,when you use the midi mapping from one port (eg port A) to another one (portB) ,some incoming events are outputed with a big latency (but not all) .may be there is limit or a maximum of events that the apps can handle at the same time?

Hi Moxi,

Is there an actual delay in the MIDI message passing from port A to port B, or is it just a delay in showing up in the port monitor window? The port monitor window definately needs more improvement in displaying messages, but it shouldn't slow down the actual passing of the message too much.

I have however noticed on some systems a few weird threading issues. If these are ports that are restored when MIOS Studio starts, sometimes there are problems with latency. A quick workaround for this is to just press the Release Ports button twice to release and remap all the connections.

Hope this helps a bit.

- Adam

i mean:

i've done a beat on an external seq ,it goes to input A of my interface then go out to outputB (direct link in the port maping page) ,and sometimes ,a note come too later (but only one ,so the beat goes irregular).