Midibox with SID6581+SID8580

leelinn

I have one SID 6581 and my friend give me a second SID: unfortunately, this one is a SID8580.

The question is this: is it possible to build my midiboxSID (2SID  version) using two different chips? Do i need to modify somtehing into mbhp_SID module?

leelinn

Hi,

Different values for the filter caps for the different SIDs and the different rectifiers.. (can remember the voltages :)) No other modofications needed for mbhp_SID.. but how was the firmware.. somebody has answer for that.

Bye, Moebius

Different values for the filter caps for the different SIDs and the different rectifiers..

Moebius, you mean different voltage regulators, not rectifiers ;D

You will need a 7809 (9 Volt) for the 8085 and a 7812 (12 Volt) for the 6581. Please check the voltages twice before plugging the SIDs!

The only other difference are the filter caps, as moebius already mentioned.

For the software:

Please take a look at the main.asm file. There you can change the filter mode for the 8085 (default is enabled). As far as I know no other changes are required. But I don't own a 6581...

Raphael

• 2 weeks later...

Moebius, you mean different voltage regulators, not rectifiers ;D

You will need a 7809 (9 Volt) for the 8085 and a 7812 (12 Volt) for the 6581. Please check the voltages twice before plugging the SIDs!

The only other difference are the filter caps, as moebius already mentioned.

For the software:

Please take a look at the main.asm file. There you can change the filter mode for the 8085 (default is enabled). As far as I know no other changes are required. But I don't own a 6581...

Raphael

Hi

tnx for reply

all my questions:

a)I need 7809 or 78L09 for SID 8580 and caps 6,8nF (poralised or ceramic one?)

b) How many C64 psu do i need to feed 2MBHP_CORE&2MBHP_SID? (in the midiboxSID step B pic it seems theat all modules are connected to 2 PSUs)

c) What kind of components do i  need to build the "small circuits" to optimized psu? (board 1000holes, 1x470nF/50V ceramic?,1x1N4001)?

d)In this schematics of the circuit mentioned above there are 2 power switch: do i use two or can i connect the circuit to one?

e)SID6581 and SID 8580....no mod. to psu board, is it right?

f) What is the difference between B40C800 and B80C800? In the core web page, in the compnent list B40C800 is required but in the txt file (order list) i find B80C800.

for the moment this is everything...i hope!!!!;)

tnx to everyone

leelinn

Hi,

a)I need 7809 or 78L09 for SID 8580 and caps 6,8nF (poralised or ceramic one?)

For the you SID 6581 will need a 7812 (78L12 will also work) and 470pF "Styroflex" caps.

For the you SID 8580 will need a 7809 (78L09 will also work) and 6,8nF "Styroflex" caps.

Styroflex caps have low tolerance (2,5%) and are NOT polarized.

b) How many C64 psu do i need to feed 2MBHP_CORE&2MBHP_SID? (in the midiboxSID step B pic it seems theat all modules are connected to 2 PSUs)

One PSU is sufficient for 4 Cores and 4 SID modules.

c) What kind of components do i  need to build the "small circuits" to optimized psu? (board 1000holes, 1x470nF/50V ceramic?,1x1N4001)?

Just take a look at the schematic:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf

A small peace of breadboard should be enough.

d)In this schematics of the circuit mentioned above there are 2 power switch: do i use two or can i connect the circuit to one?

It's only one switch with two switches ;) (Don't know how these are called in english...)

TIP: Just reuse the original C64 switch! It's such a type of switch.

e)SID6581 and SID 8580....no mod. to psu board, is it right?

Right, if you stuff every SID board with the appropriate voltage regulator (7809/7812), ther is no change needed.

f) What is the difference between B40C800 and B80C800? In the core web page, in the compnent list B40C800 is required but in the txt file (order list) i find B80C800.

The first number (before the "C") is the maximum input voltage for the rectifier. So both are OK (40 Volt max. rating is more than enough).

But if you use the 64 PSU schematic, you won't need them on the core board because the PSU supplies already 5VDC.

Raphael

The first number (before the "C") is the maximum input voltage for the rectifier. So both are OK (40 Volt max. rating is more than enough).

But if you use the 64 PSU schematic, you won't need them on the core board because the PSU supplies already 5VDC.

Raphael

ok...so if i use an old C64 psu i don't need to put B40C800/B80C800 into MBHP_CORE but only into MBHP_SID, is it right?

tnx a lot

leelinn

• 6 months later...

ok...so if i use an old C64 psu i don't need to put B40C800/B80C800 into MBHP_CORE but only into MBHP_SID, is it right?

yeah, that's right. but if you already put a rectifier on MBHP_CORE you won't have to remove it. just make sure not to put the voltage regulator on the board but to solder a bridge between the input and output pin where the voltage regulator would sit.