Just about done, now what?

k-rite

O.K. I actually finished building my Midibox SID.  Its just 1 Core and 1 SID.  I have bootstrap burned on the pic.  Now what do I do next?  Do I use MIOS Studio to burn the MIOS on the PIC via MIDI?  Once the MIOS is burned do I do anything else?  Or is my Midibox ready to go? 

Well, I went ahead and tried to upload MIOS.  But I think I might have fudged it a little.  When I first did it I followed the direction on ucapps.de and my Midibox sent a request message to MIOS Studio, then MIOS Studio sent the first packet of information, but nothing happened after that so I stop the upload process.  I tried to do it a second time, but then my Midibox didn't send a request message.

What do I do?  Please help.  How can I get the Midibox to send a request message again???

hi,

to upload MIOS load the sysex file in MIOS studio. Then power on your Midibox and within 2(?) seconds send the sysex file. If it didnt work just power off your mbox and try again (it always sends a request message when you power-up)

When you have MIOS uploaded, you have to upload the SID-application sysex file. It's done in the same way, but you can do this whenever the unit is on.

goodluck, marcel

O.K., I see.  So the Midibox always send a MIOS request message the first two seconds its powered on.

Well my Midibox sent one MIOS request message once, and only once.  Its not sending anymore when i power it on.

So i went through the check steps here: http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

When I checked the ground on the core circuit there is no voltage at PIC1 OSC1 or OSC2?  Is my 10mhz processor dead?  I have the positive lead at the positive J1 pin and the negative lead on either OSC1 or OSC2 and nothing.  Then I put the positive lead on PIC1 MCLR and the negative lead on either OSC1 or OSC2, still nothing.  Shouldn't there be voltage there?  All my other voltage checks out O.K.

My midibox sent one request message and now it seems dead?

When I checked the ground on the core circuit there is no voltage at PIC1 OSC1 or OSC2?

these are high-frequency signals which cannot be measured with a multimeter

Is my 10mhz processor dead?

obviously not, otherwise it wouldn't send a request message

My midibox sent one request message and now it seems dead?

then MIOS Studio sent the first packet of information, but nothing happened after that so I stop the upload process.

It's clear, MIOS hasn't been uploaded completely. I'm not sure why, maybe you haven't selected the right MIDI In Port in MIOS Studio, so that the upload tool doesn't receive the return message from the core. This would explain why only one block has been uploaded.

So: check the MIDI configuration in MIOS Studio (you should see the request message in the MIDI IN monitor of MIOS Studio)

Alternatively you could try to upload MIOS with the "Don't use feedback from core" option

Keep in mind that MIOS itself has to be uploaded within 2 seconds after power-on. Without the feedback option, you could enable the "Wait for upload request" option instead. power-on the core and wait until all blocks have been uploaded --- but this feature really requires a proper MIDI connection

Best Regards, Thorsten.

When I first turn on my Midibox, should a midi message be recieved by MIOS Studio and seen in this box?

Yes, it should.

You could use MIDI-Ox or another MIDI monitor in order to check if any message is sent by the core. If this is the case, you can search for the reason in your MIOS Studio Setup

Just follow each point of the MIDI Troubleshooting Guide until you find the error

Best Regards, Thorsten.

When I run this check:

Connect a LED to your MIDI Out port and check if it flickers: mbhp_core_extract_out_led.gif

I get no flickering.  Should there be any voltage at J13?  I got 4.92Vdc at the midi out port, but no voltage at the midi in port.

When I test the voltage at PIC1 IX (25) there is only 4.32Vdc and at the actual midi out port there is only 4.92Vdc.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've got similar problems, i think...

I started my midibox about 2 years ago... I was using the Core, DIN, AIN & LTC(for com port connection).

I stopped on this project for more than a year and totally forgotten everything. I knew that my core module was working and could conenct to my com and send signals to the my applications.

Recently i took it out and wanted to work on something new, but it seems that it isn't working.

When running MidiOx i only see the first 8bytes of  SYSEX when i turn the midibox on. After that there was no response from my buttons.

Now i can't really seem to find the right track to continue. Could someone kindly help out?

Hi,

you could use the debug functions of MIOS Studio in order to check if anything is working. For instance, the MIOS_DIN_SRGet function allows you to check the current state of the buttons. If this function doesn't work at all (no response from core), it could mean that MIOS hasn't been uploaded correctly.

In general it makes sense to upload the most recent releases of MIOS and the MIDIbox application.

Best Regards, Thorsten.