testing psu safely

hi there,

i have a c64 psu and some others that i want to check with a multimeter (individual voltages coming from pins), i just wondered if i have to use the positive or negative probe of the meter or if it doesn't matter which probe i use to check the pins?

all the best

adam

hi adam,

The C64 PSU has both AC(9V) and DC(5V) power. The AC doesn't have a positive/negative side, so it just measures 9V AC whenever you probe both pins.

The DC has a + and  - side ( "-" is ground here). The ground pin should be the pin in the middle of your plug. Put your black(-) probe there and with the other probe look for a pin where you get 5V. When you reverse the probes it will read -5V.

So if you don't have any clue which pins are which, just look for two pins that measure 5V or -5V--> when it's 5V you got the red probe on the (most) positive pin when it's -5V you got the red probe on the (most) negative pin (ground).

hope this helps, marcel

thanks marcel i'll try that out..

the other psu is a +5 +12 -12 volts, using a 5 pin midi style connector, it sounds like your advice also applies well here, look for +5 and -5 then use the black probe on the (newly discovered) ground connector to find the +-12v pins

all the best

adam

• 4 months later...