Anything in the works for storing banks?

basta73

I was wondering if anything revolutionary is in the works for storing banks.  The manual switch is good, but is it very difficult to stack a bunch of the banksticks IC's in a row, and have the core view it as one large bankstick?

or

perhaps upgrading to a different storage chip?

RAM?

Just a thought.

Problem is that there are currently no IIC EEPROMs (those with a 2-wire interface) with more than 32k. However, the Microchip EEPROMs offer three chip select inputs, so that up to 8 chips connected in parallel can be addressed. This results into a large memory space of 256k... but since only special 24256 devices provide this feature, and since I don't own this types, it's not supported by the MIDIbox.

RAMs: I don't know affordable IIC RAM devices. For common SRAM chips a lot of connections have to be made: i.e. a 128k SRAM needs 17 address lines, 8 data lines and 3 control lines... the number if wires could be reduced by using a latch like known from 8051 devices, and the data bus could be shared with the LCD bus --- but this would result into a design far from the (easy-to-solder) MBHP

Best Regards, Thorsten.