SUCCESS! Frac-SID v. 1.0!

logo64

Well... after struggling with some missing solder, and an LCD that is blank except for when one of the trim-pots is all the way down, my Frac-SID is working!  I built the whole thing to mount in a PAIA Frac-rack 3U blank panel.  It has a 16x2 LCD (no room for larger), 6 CV inputs, and a planned 8 CV outs (once I figure out how to get ahold of an AOUT board!).  Only one knob (encoder), but tons of VC possibilities!  I'll be using it with my PAIA 9710, and Moog-ladder filter EFM VCF-2F.  This filter kit is cheap, but 3 months after purchasing it, I'm still waiting for a dozen missing parts!  EFM should be taken over by SmashTV... whose service and kits are impeccable!

Although it doesn't seem like the AOUT can be set to give a 1V/Oct CV signal that tracks note value, I'm planning to run MIDI through my PAIA MIDI to CV, and then to the SID.  This way, I can use pitch CV to have the filter track the SID.  Simple solution for the time being.

One last question, then it's back to tweaking - I am using a Bourns encoder with switch that I bought from SmashTV - It's indented, right?  What parameters do I need to set in the main.asf file for this encoder?  It's working fine, but tends to skip a bit - I think it needs some fine-tuning.

-gerald

gb,

That's great news about the AOUT board!  Do you recommend that I try to order an AOUT module from the german dist. mikes-elektronikseite, or should I wait for the V2 board that is reportedly in the works?

http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=4891.0

Here is a pic of my FracSID.  I posted this under a new thread about AIN problems I'm having, but I might as well copy it here too.

It is obviously a work in progress.  I didn't label anything, because it is easy to guess what's what.  Top row AIN, with two extra jacks TBD. Bottom row is reserved for AOUT whenever I get one together.  Bottom right is for SID-IN and SID-Out.  You can't tell, but the LCD is backlit with a lovely white LED.  Very easy to read.  I'll take a picture of it's guts when I'm through with it (probably months from now).

-gerald

fracsid.jpg

Well!! that's damn good looking!  9700S on the bottom and your custom stuff on top.

the hypothetical new AOUT... with R2R ladders is... at best a work in progress... nobody has schematics... or  code yet..

when I burned my AOUT board, i made a double.... and I don't need the second one.

but... hmmm... earthlink, are you in the US?

if so.. i could mail this board to you... you just need the parts.  I don't need a second AOUT board presently, and could burn more if I need em.  the sticking point is the D/A converter.. it's like 25 bux each.... I got em as samples.... you get 2 as samples when you request them from the manufacturer.

of coarse, I would want you to replace the copper clad boards that I burn.  think you can get them at most any REAL electronix place, (NOT RadioShack)

anyway.. lemme know

gb