question about PIC and cost...

nerd of nerds

hello!

a few months ago i started getting into synths and now i have a roland sh-32.  i've tried using pc sequencers before and hated them (with a passion actually).

i'm used to the "classic" method of sequencing with 16 steps and have been searching for the perfect sequencer for a loooooooooong time and when i found this site i was sooooooooo excited.

but here is my problem, i'm on a very limited budget, i can't produce my electronic music without a sequencer and i'd love to build a midibox seq and mayby later on a midibox sid synth.

Do i have to compile the code for the PIC in order to get it to run right?  If so, is there any way i could get someone here to do that for me?

i'm planning on ordering most of my stuff from smash tv's website but he(she?!) doesn't carry any buttons or knobs to put on the rotary encoders.  after scouring ebay and several other sites i found some nice (cheap) knobs to put on the encoders but i still haven't found any good (cheap) buttons to use... any ideas?  i'm in the USA, Digikey has some cool ones but they are 94 cents a piece and that adds up pretty quickly...even after bulk pricedrops...

THANKS!

Hi,

the midibox_seq package contains preassembled .hex files, but even if you would have to rebuild the project, it wouldn't cost you additional money - the MPLAB IDE from Microchip is available for free

Best Regards, Thorsten.

what kind of configuration are the hex files for?

If i need to rebuild it, what does that involve?

would it be possible to do a midibox seq and a single sid using one core?

and i noticed on smash tvs website he has rotary encoders with switches...i like the idea of using the encoders as buttons in order to keep the front panel looking nice, clean, and simple to use, but i'm not sure if they are exactly what i need...do i need any kind of special knobs to go over it for the switch to work?  are they momentary?

can i set the midibox seq up to do 12 midi channels and 4 CV outputs?

Thanks for all the help and all the great projects!

Hi,

what kind of configuration are the hex files for?

A hex file is the already compiled code.

If i need to rebuild it, what does that involve?

Just install MPLAB from microchip and use it like described here:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_mplab.html

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_mpasm.html

(It's free!)

would it be possible to do a midibox seq and a single sid using one core?

No

and i noticed on smash tvs website he has rotary encoders with switches...i like the idea of using the encoders as buttons in order to keep the front panel looking nice, clean, and simple to use, but i'm not sure if they are exactly what i need...do i need any kind of special knobs to go over it for the switch to work?  are they momentary?

They are ok. I use them in my SEQ. The only disadvantage is that you sometimes unintentionally turn the knob when you just wanted to press it...

can i set the midibox seq up to do 12 midi channels and 4 CV outputs?

CV is no problem.

I never used more than one channel (Never needed more...).

Raphael

Hi,

A hex file is the already compiled code.

Just install MPLAB from microchip and use it like described here:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_mplab.html

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_mpasm.html

(It's free!)

No

They are ok. I use them in my SEQ. The only disadvantage is that you sometimes unintentionally turn the knob when you just wanted to press it...

CV is no problem.

I never used more than one channel (Never needed more...).

Raphael

i was wondering what type of midibox seq the .hex file was configured for.  type of lcd, buttons, etc, everything.  this way i know what to buy and i don't have to mess around with compiling the other crap...

can smash tv program this onto the PIC for me?  or can i program it over midi with the bootloader?

THAKS!