LCD on midibox SID

amppari

hi.

im on half way building my first midibox SID!! i have uploaded MIOS and got sound out of the unit, so im thrilled.

today i implemented the LCDisplay. i got messages: on start up-> n letter and then after acouple of seconds a message: 2 b ..... b   .

... so i quess its not working right

do i have to upload some other software for the LCD to work?

i checked the cabling couple of times and it seemed to be ok. im using a 20x2 character display(w/backlight) from MIKEs midishop(DEM 20231 SYH-PY / V 442)

please help me out on this.

ami

PS. GREAT PROJECT.. THANKS!

:D :D :D :P :P

is it the bootstrap thing?

If not, check at least twice if everything is wired correctly, trust me. I rewired my parallel port 2x40 LCD at least 5 times before getting something that works. One time, I even got burnt by the controller ICs because some pins were connected wrong. You would not want to let your expansive LCD dying.

i'm working with a same LCD module and used the Displaytech 2x20 datasheet that mike sent.

now here's what the LCD displays when booting the system:

MEOS 1.4z (this for maybe 2 seconds)

then for REALLY short time there flashes something like

MEHEbootSEH Z1;a (this might be not correct due to the time that the message is shown)

then it goes to

A 1 1  C1 - - -

and stays there. sound can be heard ok. but if i change the preset with Jsynth, the screen stays always the same. is this because i don't have any buttons or encoders connected to core yet? should the LCD act or response to changes? or is there somethig still wrong? the LCD is lit too...

cheers!!

(finnish first!) :)

The MBSID should show the patch name at the second line, this name should be updated whenever you send a new patch with JSynthLib.

But the "wrong character" problem is very new to me - it also seems that characters are missing (but this could be a sideeffect) - not sure if this effect can happen if datalines are swapped

Best Regards, Thorsten.