Can i get a SID without buy a C64 ?

dcreatorx

There probably aren't many  vacant SIDs floating around anymore, as you know the Sidstations are also made in very small numbers because the SID stocks are pretty much used up by now. So you basically have to scavenge them from C64's.

But as you can see, there are lots of cheap C64's going around on eBay and the like, both fully functioning and malfunctioning. Even a non working machine may have a perfectly healthy SID inside, so they are worth checking out, too. Ask the sellers before bidding, that they will check that there is a SID chip inside and which type, and ask if they are willing to send just the chip. Many are willing to do this. Just last week, I bought a 6581 from a non working c64 from a friendly soul, he even offered to send the chip for me to check out and pay if it worked, otherwise I would have just paid the postage (but this is rare showing of trust to a stranger, I'd say!). And yep, the chip worked.

There may still be some batches of SIDs in the warehouses of (specialized) repair shops, but it will take some trouble to locate them and they are probably aware that enthusiasts will pay good money for the chips. Anyway, spend some time stalking eBay and you should be able to secure a couple of chips for not too much money!

You can use 1 to 4 SIDs, just as you please (a 4 SID configuration will cost quite a lot to build as you need a Core and SID module for each SID chip), a 1 SID system can be very cheap). Don't know if it's any actual use to have four,  I have two on mine (now it's 8580 and 6581, used to be 2 x 8580) and it fits my needs perfectly.

More on this topic can be found very easily both in the documentation and the forum - it's best to carefully go through all the available information and let it sink in. Then you'll know what you want and can get to the building part!  ;)