more SID questions for that n00b

iamlark

so i've aquired two C64s now and i'm looking at ordering parts for this project.

i plan on building a single SID unit first, but i may upgrade it to two.

1) i want to order my PIC with the bootstrap already loaded, but i'm not sure what to have it set to.

2) [this was a really dumb question, but i found an answer for it]

3) [another dumb question]

4) i would like mine to have a full control surface. if i'm only using one SID should i reduce the amount of buttons/encoders/etc. that i'm ordering. i guess what i'm really asking is how much of what should i be ordering for a dual SID unit (other than cores, sids, lcd)

5) is it possible to combine 6581 chips and 8580 chips in the same unit?

6) are LCD displays really $20+ or am i looking in the wrong places

thank you all.

-joey

Hi,

4) i would like mine to have a full control surface. if i'm only using one SID should i reduce the amount of buttons/encoders/etc. that i'm ordering. i guess what i'm really asking is how much of what should i be ordering for a dual SID unit (other than cores, sids, lcd)

no, the CS doesn't change according to the amounts of SID's, all the knobs/menus you see are there to control one sid, the only thing you don't need are the 4 buttons to select which (of the maximum) of 4 sids you want to edit. But it may even be better to keep these; so you can expand the synth easily. 

5) is it possible to combine 6581 chips and 8580 chips in the same unit?

yep

read up on the appropriate ucapps.de pages! it's all there

6) are LCD displays really $20+ or am i looking in the wrong places

most of the time; yeah, but look on ebay or something; occasionally there are really cheap ones

cheers, marcel

1) i want to order my PIC with the bootstrap already loaded, but i'm not sure what to have it set to.

Calculate it on Smash_TVs site:

http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/idgen.html

It depends on your LCD and if you want to use MIDI or toCOM Interface.

The device ID has to be different for the different cores in your mulit-SID. So just pick ID 0 for your first CORE and if you want to extend with another SID give the CORE ID 1.

Hi,

no, the CS doesn't change according to the amounts of SID's, all the knobs/menus you see are there to control one sid, the only thing you don't need are the 4 buttons to select which (of the maximum) of 4 sids you want to edit. But it may even be better to keep these; so you can expand the synth easily. 

ah, that's what i was afraid of. i guess i'll just start by ordering the most basic parts (core + sid modules) and work up from there.

Calculate it on Smash_TVs site:

http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/idgen.html

thank you! the calculator had me confused, but i think i've figured it out now.