am i going about this correctly?

moostapha

Okay, so I've never undertaken anything like this before, but I want to build a midibox for controlling Ableton Live. 

I know what I want to build and have more or less completed the external design, but I need someone to reasure me that I'm understanding the hardware correctly.  The external design includes three sets of 16 buttons and 16 rotary potentiometers, and one more linear potentiometer.  I think I can do all of it with one device, and having extra space for more rotary pots is always good. 

I'm probably going to order stuff from here because I don't have easy access to a place to fabricate circuit boards and I'm not exactly dying to do more work that I have to.

So, if someone cold tell me if I'm thinking correctly to this point, I'd appreciate it. 

I know what the core module does. 

I know that the AIN module does analog inputs from potentiometers, and I think that each AIN module can take care of 64 pots. 

I know the DIN module does digital inputs from buttons, and I think ecah takes care of 64 buttons. 

And from what I'm reading, I don't think I need anything else, assuming that I have a midi-usb interface. 

Now, the thing that I'm really confused about: what programing do you need to do?  I really don't understand this part and I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide.  I have some programming experience in C++, basic, and Java and catch on quickly, but I've never programmed anything like this and I have no idea how to go about it.

Thank you all.

I know that the AIN module does analog inputs from potentiometers, and I think that each AIN module can take care of 64 pots. 

Each takes 32 pots. So you will need 2 AIN modules for 64 pots.

I know the DIN module does digital inputs from buttons, and I think ecah takes care of 64 buttons. 

Same here. One for 32. Two for 64.

And from what I'm reading, I don't think I need anything else, assuming that I have a midi-usb interface.

A LCD would be good for debugging even if you don't want to integrate it in your box.

Ah, and don't forget to order the PIC with bootloader. Otherwise you will need a programmer.

Now, the thing that I'm really confused about: what programing do you need to do?  I really don't understand this part and I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide.  I have some programming experience in C++, basic, and Java and catch on quickly, but I've never programmed anything like this and I have no idea how to go about it.

I don't know Ableton. But if it understands normal MIDI message, you don`t need to program anything. Just some adjustments to the software (setting some parameters) might be necessary. So don`t worry about that.

Raphael

Okay, so just get the PIC with the bootloader.  It seemed like there was more you had to do to program it. 

I think i remember something about a PIC ID headder at the place I was going to order from.  I can figure out the LCD type and that i'm using MIDI, but ihnfc what the Sysex Device ID is. 

And how much debugging would you actually need to do?  And how much could you do with such a display?  Does it give note values or will it let you know if you solder something wrong and the PIC can't find it, or what?

Okay, so just get the PIC with the bootloader.  It seemed like there was more you had to do to program it.

I was wondering what the chances for survival were in that as well. I've been compiling some dumb crap lately, but I swear I've messed up my PIC from sending it something a couple times via MIDIOx and got the screen with the top row of LCD blocks and no request messages. I've luckily got a programmer here, but is moostapha safe?

I think i remember something about a PIC ID headder at the place I was going to order from.  I can figure out the LCD type and that i'm using MIDI, but ihnfc what the Sysex Device ID is.

I'm guessing it won't be a concern unless you'll have more than one MB or device that your host has to distinguish between.

And how much debugging would you actually need to do?  And how much could you do with such a display?  Does it give note values or will it let you know if you solder something wrong and the PIC can't find it, or what?

Yes, you can see the note and parameter values along with which knobs or buttons you hit and make some of the basic settings through that, as well as get timeout error messages and stuff. I don't think it will give you hardware errors or anything yet, but knowing Thorsten anything's possible. ;D

Check the tutorial section for the MB64 and you should see some images of a bunch of the screens.

-Take Care

George  (still learning the stuff too)

And how much debugging would you actually need to do? 

I meant hardware debugging ;) Check, if all your buttons are working and so on.

You won't need to debug the software.

And as Jidis said, a LCD is really useful too when the box is up and running.

Concerning the PIC SysEx ID. Just choose 0 if you only want to use one core in your box.

Hello,

i'm thinking of making a midi-controller just like yours. (7 buttons, 8 knobs and 1 slider) x 3 plus 'master-volume' slider to use as a dj-mixer for Ableton.

I was also wondering about the programming.

Can you post your progress here? I'm very curious about it.

Greetings,

Ramonster

www.mindgrooves.nl