Compile on Apple

tatapoum

Some of the older apps (and probably mios itself) require the windows devkit.

However the newer stuff (and particularly the C API) is based on gputils, and scpp which (appear to) compile and run fine on apple. I've built the various C apps, on MacOS without trouble, though I haven't actually tested the compiled sysex files, as my box is still under contruction.

Ian

The best option would be to grab sccp and gpasm for windows, and see what builds with that toolset (and how important the source to the problem apps is to you). If it builds with them on windows, then you can build them on Apple or Linux (or anything else for that matter).

It's probably a minor job to update the older apps to work with the open source toolsets, but you can at least try it out on windows, and figure how much work it will be.

Perhaps TK could give his opinions on the direction he's heading, but I'd guess most new stuff will probably compile with these tools, so this should be less of an issue in the future.

Ian

• 4 months later...

Im on OS X;

I found some articles about Xcode integration (MacDevCenter), but no PICs, just AVRs :'(

I haven't got it to work for PICs, because I am also having trouble with the latest SDCC-release (that one with the PIC18F-support). Doesn't compile with a bunch of errors I'm tired to track down; I think this release will never compile on OSX :(

Nevertheless, it works quite fine modifying ASM code with MPLAB-ide in VirtualPC, then calling the hex2syx-Python-Script in Terminal and sending the *.syx-file with "SysEx Librarian".

But there's one thing I couldn't get done on my mac: burning the PIC. There's no serial Port and all USB-Adaptors have never worked relyable and / or there were no drivers available. So after all, if you want to burn MIOS into a chip, you'll need a PC. (Don't know if this changes with MBHP-Burner, I used JDM).

I hope there's a working SDCC-version soon for OS X, because working with XCode2 would be *  :D  delicious! wonderful! ahh!

Just after writing this comment, I found some new articles; maybe these links are of some interest:

http://www.1710.co.uk/picosx/

http://forum.microchip.com/tm.asp?m=128288

http://dmxprojects.com/projects_pic.html (PIC Programmer for OS X)

• 2 weeks later...

;D

You might still need a PC for Burning the MBHP-Loader into the Pic, but everything else now works quite fine!!

Here is what you need:

1. GPUTILS: someone called bgb has done a precompiled GPUTILS installer. thanks for that!

2. SDCC (latest snapshot – don't use the installer for SDCC 2.40 for Mac, it won't work)

If you load the binaries (precompiled versions) install them properly in /usr/local/bin

test in the terminal with "sdcc -v". should show the proper version > 2.5 now!

I have SDCC v 2.5.4.

3. You might need these additional libraries (I don't know, you might try it without, if something doesn't work, you should look for these dependencies). Maybe you'd like to install Fink and FinkCommander...

-> gettext-0.14.5, gputils-0.13.2, libiconv-1.9.2_1, libtool-1.5.22_1

4. call mkmk.pl from the tools subdir to generate the makefile

5. type "make" in the terminal (in the proper directory) --> voilà (hopefully) ;)

Michael

You might still need a PC for Burning the MBHP-Loader into the Pic

Yeah, I've always done my PIC/flash burning on a really old 486 laptop (dumpster material).

There isn't by any chance a sufficient compiler for that really old PC stuff, which would work for MB source is there? I'm finishing up a portable "toolbox" style MB64, and it would be cool to be able to play with source code without having to sit at the computer. The 486 is a DX75 or something with win95. There's also a P100 or 120, but I don't like the screen as much. I've never been into expensive laptops. All I ever need them for is text and small com port utilities. I'd even be willing to struggle through a compact Linux distro if that would work.

-Thanks!

FWIW-

I just successfully copied the MPASM app (exe, alone) over to a crap 486/75 laptop and it seemed to work under 95, with no extra files. It was slow as a dog though. It did a full MB64 app in around 2.5 minutes total. The hex checksummed properly against one I compiled on my XP machine with the same sources, so I guess it's OK.

I probably need a good 95 text-string search utility now for a complete "portabox". If there's more compact compilers, text utilities, and obviously a small SysEx app out there for Dos or even Linux, which can handle the PIC18's, please let me know.

-Take Care

George