Dangerous to drive the Core directly with 5V from PC-PSU?

rambinator

As I allready described in another thread I now use an external pc-psu to drive my MBLC.

We all know that those PSU deliver 5V which is to low to put it through the voltage regulator.

That's why I connected it direclty to J2. Everything was fine and I felt safe just until I realized

yesterday that the output voltage is 5,4V. Is this dangerous for the pic? I didn't find information

in the PIC's datasheet. Who has experience with PC-PSUs and the core module? Are there other

dangers when using J2? any precautions?

regards

rambinator

If your voltage on the PC-PSU is too high, you should put more dummy load to this line by means of connecting a power resistor, if you run the PSU while not installed in a PC (most PSUs won't run without load anyways).

Another issue from PC PSUs is noisy voltage which might create AIN jitter, be sure to use bypass caps.

• 2 weeks later...

hello

all the talk about PC-PSU has triggered a "self-protect" algorythm in me  :P

Be EXTREMLY carefull with PC-PSUs since they work at high frequency high voltage and u wont feel anything until your skin starts burning !!!!!!!! DO NOT OPEN THE CASE !!!!!!!! (even if its turned off, there are 1 or 2 massive caps inside)

I speak of personal encouner, luckily it wasnt a bad 1, all the tissue recovered  :P

Yarek T

you should put more dummy load to this line by means of connecting a power resistor, if you run the PSU while not installed in a PC (most PSUs won't run without load anyways).

I read the same thing recently while troubleshooting a dead one. I think it went even further to say that you could actually hurt them by running with no load. People are known to run a light bulb in series while testing them.

-George

PS- I use a couple AT supplies and a Mac LC supply for 5/12v stuff here with real small loads and haven't killed anything or anybody yet.