how does it work?

Wisefire

hey TK (and others),

i have some problems understanding the functionality of the MBSID.. as i dont have a operational MBSID yet.. however i AM designing the interface

of mine.. and as im quite radicly redesigning it.. i was wondering some stuff.. i am deducing my info from the frontpanel itself..

osc:

how does this assigning business work..

filter:

O1 O2 O3??

can i remove ext from my MBSIDS fuctionality.. or wil mios detect(???) that i dont have an external filter thingy?

mode 3O???

maybe its one of the above.. but if i have for example 4 sid chips.. can i filter my sound through all the filters of my sid chips (serial, instead of paralel)

env:

how does it work in general.. it raises all kind of weird questions (like: if i got 2 envelopes there.. why not hardcode assign them to the CTRL options you got there)

i feel like a noob again.. but since i cant find a manual (and will write one, when i get my S*ID :P together..) im just asking..

edit: i was also wondering if it is possible to change some code to include a more direct arpegiator section.. i want to be able to switch it on and off with one button and change some of the parameters more directly.. (basicly i want to sort of mimic my MS2000.. as i am basing my design on that thing)

Hi,

osc: how does this assigning business work..

it's documented in cs_menu_enc_table.inc

filter:O1 O2 O3??

Oscillator 1, 2, 3

can i remove ext from my MBSIDS fuctionality.. or wil mios detect(???) that i dont have an external filter thingy?

you can remove this LED, the function can be controlled from the FIL menu anyhow

mode 3O???

oscillator 3 off (special SID feature, sometimes useful if Oscillator 3 is used for sync or ringmodulation)

maybe its one of the above.. but if i have for example 4 sid chips.. can i filter my sound through all the filters of my sid chips (serial, instead of paralel)

you would have to chain the Audio Outs through the Audio Ins - but it sounds crappy, I cannot recomment this. Especially the s/n ratio will be worst

env:

how does it work in general..

Press Env: LCD menu jumps to the ENV section, you can see the current envelope values, and you can change them with the encoders. Press Env in order to change to the second envelope, press Env again in order to change to the first envelope - the LCD will always display the selected values, thats very important when using rotary encoders.

it raises all kind of weird questions (like: if i got 2 envelopes there.. why not hardcode assign them to the CTRL options you got there)

Because I found it more consistent at the time I created the control surface. There is a OSC button, a LFO button - why not a ENV button. However, you are right, I could save one button. On the other hand: from my personal oppinion this is more aesthetical

It's not easy to change the CS program, so that Env and Ctrl are merged. The software isn't such flexible... (flexibility always consumes memory, and memory is always rare)

edit: i was also wondering if it is possible to change some code to include a more direct arpegiator section.. i want to be able to switch it on and off with one button and change some of the parameters more directly.. (basicly i want to sort of mimic my MS2000.. as i am basing my design on that thing)

Once the 18F4620 is available (with 64k internal flash), I'm planning to enhance the arpeggiator section by some internal sequences (Up/Down/Octave 1..2..3 and all this stuff) - then I could also take such features into account. Currently I cannot say, how to implement it  in a way which makes it compatible with future features.

Sidenote: as mentioned many times, I would never change my own control surface - therefore it could be, that arpeggiator functions are controlable with a key combination

Best Regards, Thorsten.