SID as a drum machine?

idiotcountry2

Here's a new MBSID-D release which supports editing drum sounds on the control surface:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mbsid-d_alpha3.zip

I've also updated some patches.

Marcel: some your patches are properly transposed now

See the new Wavetable Tutorial, how to rip sounds from .sid files: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all!

I just got my first sid-modul working!!!! ;D

Now i couldt also start making drum patches!

Do we still need some, TK?

Which are more important? Kicks, snares, hihats,... or all?

It wouldt be an honor for me to contribute something to the MidiboxProject. 

greatz Marxon (BpM)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I am new to midibox. Despite my newiness I have a lofty dream, to try to build a midibox SID drum x0x-box, using 4-6 (?) SID-chips to basically emulate the TR-808 sounds (i know this is nominally possible because i have spent hours and hours in front my SIDstation trying to recreate those beatbox sounds :).

So I am wondering if it is at all possible to append/widen (sorry, I am not a programmer myself) the software for a SID drumsynthesizer to use several chips?

regards

Mikael Altemark

Just wondering if you've seen www.prophet64.com?? They have software you can run on a cartridge that emulates the look and behaviour of the 909 with SID drums. It's pretty good, but the sounds are quite limited. If you have 2 SID's it allows for 6x poly too. There is a 'Cubase style' sequencer and two TB style step-seq's on there too so it's pretty good value.

As for the mega MBSID Drum machine, i believe that it's possible to assign a patch that uses all four SID's for a 12 note polyphony, that's plenty if you ask me!

• 4 months later...

More i play with it, more i like it  ;D

a Drumkit consists of 21 patches...

Is the number 21 the maximum number of patch the pic memory allow ?

In that case, it's "technicaly" possible to get more patches with a pic4620 software ?

It would be awesome to be able to play more than 21 patches !!!!  ::)

Unfortunately it's very likely, that the drum engine of MBSID V2 will support less than 21 patches per drumkit.

The intention is to provide prepared "drum modules", so that you don't need to edit wavetables - it's just a fast and easy to use solution to get some drum sounds out of the SID w/o a long installation and configuration orgy.

Another important thing is, that a drum kit doesn't consume more memory like a patch of another engine, so that the same BankStick can be used for storing patches of any engine (same frame format)

Best Regards, Thorsten.