R1/10k resistor, required or not?

tokyomatik

i just started to mound my first sid module and on i have a doubt about the 10 k resistor R1

on the schematics found on the ucapps's site, says that is not required anymore, but i have this part in my kit and on the pcb are the last holes available

so what should i do?

and if is not required anymore, should i make a bridge?

let me know..

• 2 weeks later...

no sound rom my sid:

i did the optimized psu board 4xsid, even if at the moment i'm using only 1 sid with minimal configuration, no display or encoder,

i'm sending 5vdc to the core module

and 12vac to the sid

pin 5 (res#) of the sid is not connected to the 10 k resistor and to pin o5 of the ic2

mios 1.8 is already uploaded("upload process complete")

and the main.hex and sertup_6581_without_cs.hex fof the mbsid 1.7a too

or i think so

i used mios studio

i also tryed the interconnection test

but the only message that i get is "upload process complete

how can i fix this problem?

well, i did the optimized board ,

What is the optimized board? Your own design?

from the pin 5 of the sid, i left the 10k resistor out, but now in this way i'm not connected to

to pin number 5 of  IC2

Ehmm..., the connection from IC1:Pin5 to IC2:Pin5 should still be there. The resistor just connected these pins to +5V (Pullup) and can be left out. So just connect the two pins 5 and everything should be fine

Raphael

Thanks,  raphael!

You made a GOOD point there. Even beginners or people "almost there" should understand, forum is being watched by various people.

Even if Your question isn't answered right away, don't start new topic because of it (and if you feel neglected and your question is not answered, just post a follow up to remind us). Once you get an answer, you can be sure that topic is being watched - and even if you have a new nearly related problem, post it there.

Bye, Moebius

tokyomatik: Can you be a bit more specific? Just saying "WHAT'S WRONG" and "i don't understand if everything i did was right" doesn't give the rest of us a clue. Have you checked http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html?

About the interconnection test, read up on main.asm, I think that's where the docs for this app is. I've not used it, but if I were you, I'd start by checking all connections, then the url above. Do you get any feedback from the core (sysex messages)?

ehm ...sorry guys, but i stayed all night long testing the connection with the tester and everything looks right

i tryed to upload the mios (i'm using mios studio but i also tryed with midi ox)on the pic within 2 seconds but i still receiving back this message on the mios studio in port monitor:

F0  00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

that to me, means that only the bootloader is in the pic

now i would also try the Serge's SysEx Loader,

but i also have another question

i did the optimized psu board x 4

but only one sid in my configuration

on the schemaics i saw that the 5vdc goes to j2 of the core but also to j2 of the sid

i did not this connection because this jumpers are already cooncted to j10 of the core

and testing the pins i get 5v

i thought that probably i was supposed to connect the 5vdc to j2(of the sid) only in the 4xsid configuration, but maybe i'm wrong...

well if i have to connect ic1:5 to ic2:5 leaving out the resistor, to me sound like a bridge

and raphael told me :No, don't make a bridge. Just leave it out like mentioned in the schematics.

maybe i was not clear enough to explain but if i don't put the resistor i still remain a couple of holes on the pcb

and to connect them i have to make a kind of bridge if i'm not wrong...

sorry but sometimes my english is so so

but i also have another question

i did the optimized psu board x 4

but only one sid in my configuration

on the schemaics i saw that the 5vdc goes to j2 of the core but also to j2 of the sid

i did not this connection because this jumpers are already cooncted to j10 of the core

and testing the pins i get 5v

i thought that probably i was supposed to connect the 5vdc to j2(of the sid) only in the 4xsid configuration, but maybe i'm wrong...

Thats OK. One 5V connection is enough.

last question about ic1:5 and ic2:5,  are these pins, supposed to receive 5v anyway??

Wait a second... As far as I can tell from the SID module schematic, IC1:PIN5 connects to IC2:PIN2. In that case, you SHOULD leave R1 out. Otherwise you have to clarify, 'cus I'm not following you...

/offe

there is a way to test to verify if the sid is working?

i found a lot of troubleshootings for the core and midi

and they are fine, but nothing about the sid module

anyway, even if the sid is not working, i should be able to upload the mios to the core(?)

right now i also have a doubt about the j2(sid) and j10(core) connections

i'm supposed to use all the pins of the cable?

i did like this:

j2:so - j10:so

j2: md - j10:md

j2:rc - j10:rc

j2:mu - j10:mu

j2:sc - j10:sc

and so on...

i was supposed to leave some pins out?

there is a way to test to verify if the sid is working?

i found a lot of troubleshootings for the core and midi

and they are fine, but nothing about the sid module

If the is module is working, you should get som sound out of it...  ;)

anyway, even if the sid is not working, i should be able to upload the mios to the core(?)

YES

i did like this:

and so on...

i was supposed to leave some pins out?

That was exactly was I was asking you earlier! Did you check  http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf for the correct connections between the SID module and the Core module? Connections should be like:

j2:sc - j10:md

/offe

EDIT: offe was faster ;D

But anyway:

Yes, this should work anyway.

i did like this:

and so on...

No, it`s no one-to-one wiring!

Please take a closer look: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf

After MIOS is loaded, try the interconnection test (follow instructions in main.asm) BEFORE plugging in the SID.

so i'm a bit fucked up...

and i also fucked up the j2/j10 connections, ok , i'm fixing it...

could be that, the reason why i'm not able to upload the mios?

Probably no. Actually, this is no rocket science, just read the documentation and use the search function in this forum. If you are using MIOS studio you should get something like "upload completed" or something like that. You should them be able to verify by sending and recieving sysex messages in the midi monitors in MIOS studio.

/offe