MBSID BankStick issues

seppoman

Hi,

I´m in the process of (finally) updating my "Der Brat 1000" to 1.7303b10 and want to put more memory into the box. Now I have the following problems:

1. when I put a 24LC512 EEPROM in the socket, there´s still only one bank. I was under the impression that MIOS can make use of double-size EEPROMS?

2. I have two 24LC256 chips that were formatted on the MB FM. When I put one into the MBSID, the box starts formatting it until patch 13 is reached, then hangs, resets and starts the formatting again. Is there a way to get these chips working with the MBSID again?

Thanks,

Seppoman

1. when I put a 24LC512 EEPROM in the socket, there´s still only one bank. I was under the impression that MIOS can make use of double-size EEPROMS?

From the bankstick site (bottom):

Note that the 24LC256 can also be replaced by a 24LC512. Although no application supports this 64k EEPROM yet, MIOS is able to access the full 16-bit address space. By stacking 8 * 24LC512, up to 512k are available.

(This is not the full truth as MBSEQ supports one 24LC512)

2. qestion: I have no MBFM so perhaps anyone else knows...

Raphael

For a 24LC512 you only need to do some small changes in mbsid_bank.inc - search for "SID_BANK_SetBankStickAddress, and replace this function by

SID_BANK_SetBankStickAddress
movff EEADR, MIOS_PARAMETER1 ; copy address to low-byte
movff SID_PATCH, MIOS_PARAMETER2 ; copy patch to high-byte
bcf MIOS_PARAMETER2, 7
btfsc SID_BANK, 0
bsf MIOS_PARAMETER2, 7
clrc
rrf SID_BANK, W
andlw 0x07
iorlw 0x80 ; (disable verify for faster write accesses)
goto MIOS_BANKSTICK_CtrlSet
[/code]

(I never tried this out...)

To the MBFM BankStick effect: this is really strange, I don't know how this can happen.

A quick & dirty solution: insert a "return" below the SID_BANK_FormatStick function to prevent this action. Thereafter upload a complete sound bank, thereafter remove the return, so that the BankStick will be formated again, but this time with proper background data

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for your response :) Today I found the time to try this out:

Inserting your code doesn´t help with the 512s yet. The box doesn´t recognize or format the second bank and I can´t save to it. Your other trick did work, all EEPROMs good as new now :)

Kind regards,

Seppoman

Hi Seppoman,

Somewhere below "SID_BANK_SetBankStickAddress" is a routine which checks if a BankStick is connected or not - this routine also needs to be adapted (currently I don't have the sources right here...)

Best Regards, Thorsten.