tired of the midibox sid mod matrix display?

cheater

• 1 month later...

Machinate,

Cool, that's David (dakro69). He's a nice guy. That's the one I bought my good tact switches from. He's been getting some large quantities of good stuff lately. Look for the dual-digit CA red vertical displays. I've been meaning to grab some more junk from him. He'll combine shipping on multiples too.

Bug him about the single row female IDC pin header connectors (cable end). He's got some he was going to dig up for eBay, but I don't know if he did yet. I still need some.

Take Care!

BTW- There was some good matrix stuff here too--

http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES3111#

I think that dealer tip came from the MB forum for some 10k pots a while back. Anyone ever ordered from them?

Machinate,

Cool, that's David (dakro69). He's a nice guy. That's the one I bought my good tact switches from. He's been getting some large quantities of good stuff lately.

Very nice choice of buttons he has as well - specifically, he has these single button grayhills:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PIECES-5-KEYPAD-SWITCH-CLEAR-CAP-FOR-CUSTOM-LABEL_W0QQitemZ7502395532QQcategoryZ58166QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

- these ones really supplement the set of keypads I just bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAYHILL-16-BUTTON-KEYPAD-NOS-VERY-NICE-10-lot_W0QQitemZ7579068705QQcategoryZ36326QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW- There was some good matrix stuff here too--

http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES3111#

I think that dealer tip came from the MB forum for some 10k pots a while back. Anyone ever ordered from them?

Hey, those guys carry that 8x8 matrix - it's only 5.25$ - man, it'll cost you way more than that even to get shaeffer to drill those holes! (I'd pay to not have to mount 64 LEDs any day, tbh!)

http://www.excesssolutions.com/cgi-bin/item/ES3219

he has these single button grayhills

Two steps ahead of you on that one Machinate. ;D

That was one of the first things I got from him. I've actually gotten the singles and the multi. Two things: They do have a weird "push" to them. I had the multi on a breadboard once, and it often didn't make good switch closures, but it was probably due to poor connections from pins that were too short for BB (probably too big too). Secondly, the inner area under the clear part is hogged up by a border, which not only makes the label square rather small, but it has two contrasting color areas where the clear cap fits over the white button inside. I had a solution to that, which involved wiping some paint or marker somewhere in it, but I can't remember it now. They're cool as s*** anyway. I wish you could drill them for lights, but I think I checked. Grayhill does have lighted ones, however, but they won't be anywhere near as cheap. I got mine a long time ago. I think when Dakro has something, he's got a massive pile of it somewhere.

That Excess Solutions place does seem too good to be true. They had those 10k pots for a quarter (usd) a piece or something. I figure when I finally get off my tail and order from them, I'll get a 404 error because they'll have gone out of business. They have a bunch of good deals on regular LED's too, as well as weird multi blocks, matrix's and bars. I'm really disgusted by all the cool types of LED's on eBay where you have to buy a batch of one particular color or size and pay 12 or 15 bucks shipping for something that can ship in an envelope. I'd like to see RGB (or more) standard 3 or 5mm, single color, in a bag of maybe 100 each. That would be worth the shipping and last a while.

-George

these buttons really are cool as f**k! Tiny tiny assembly. The feel of the button is weird, kind of like firm Gameboy buttons. I like it, although they may be a bit too firm for a high-end performance controller. Dunno, they'll definitely be wired up asap for testing.

I do have a question about these buttons though. They're arranged in a 16pin+1pin configuration, as opposed to keypads with 2 dedicated pins per button.

Could that be a problem when used with the scan matrix? I've got other, bigger buttons lined up if it doesn't work.

It would seem that it would, since they need multiple destinations for that.

yes. However, by using two different din registers (as in an 8x16 matrix) you would get this effect - and also very neat connections to and from the keypad - at least that's what I'm hoping for: Each keypad takes one of the douts on the common pin and distributes to all 16 dins