Extending DOUT bus distance

solarix

I have succeeeded in building the core and 2 DOUT modules from scratch on proto boards. I have the capability of using MIDI "music" to controll 110 VAC light, sequencing by playing the keyboard into Cakewalk.

In testing I have been able to get the DOUT modules to run on a maximum of 45 foot of cat5 wire. For my application (Christmas Lights), 45' would be OK however, I would like a total cable length of 100', some of this length is between DOUT modules some between Core and the first DOUT module.

Is some way of extending this distance with an active line driver or some other design?

Thanks!

I'm sure that with a differential line driver like a RS422 driver you could get way longer than 100' without corrupting data. Just my first thougts. Check out this chip: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn65lbc179.pdf

Up to 10Mbps, how fast is the DOUT,DIN chians scanned ?

3 pairs of these should work. Plus gnd and +5v.

Could be an idea to a new "extend module"  ;D wouldnt work with AINs, just for DIN and DOUT....

/Wise

Wise,

I am pleased to see a possibility. 100 meg ethernet works without issue for 300 ft. I am sure there is a way to have 2 meg 100% perfect over 100 ft. Looking at the DOUT data lines with a scope, it doesn't appear to be a whole lot different than RS232, just faster and using less robust master hardware (the 452). My DOUT module failures on long runs are most related to the 5+ volt line and voltage drop on long runs due to the current draw required by powering 32 opto-isolators for the triac boards, so I have changed to a ditributed power arrangment placing a7805 and filter caps on each DOUT card and running +12 on the power line, this has improved stabilityt. I will look into the line drivers, probably buy a few and build to see what it ends up running like.

Thanks again!

Jerry

probably buy a few and build to see what it ends up running like.

Just order some samples frÃ¥n Texas  ;D

With this line driver you could use a separate PSU at the DOUT/triac boards, just be sure to connect the GND of that psu and gnd of the core together. And be sure you use TP-cable for the data lines.

Found some interesting documents, it's for rs485, bat it's similar tp 422:

http://www.embeddedsys.com/subpages/resources/images/documents/microsys_art_RS485.pdf

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-847.pdf

Keep us informed about your progress

/Wise