How many chips you need total ?

dcreatorx

As far as I know (and I haven't built this box) is that every card listed on the OPL3 module page on uCApps carries both chips (one YMF262 and one YAC512). Now for 4 channels instead of two you'll need a second YAC512. Basically you'll need another card carrying both chips, and only take the YAC512 from it. You can probably trade/sell the remaining YMF262 on the fleamarket forum over here, or hold on to it as spare in case you fry your own.

Cheers,  Alex.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, following the guide on the main project post, every soundblaster 16 ISA should carry on the needed chips.

I found one of these arrond my place on a drawer. And the info isn't correct cause I didn't found any chip with that name here !!

Can somebody tell me what happen here ? Maybe I can't see the right chips ?

0fe669c054b345173dd3ae7f45ad4c48.th.jpg d3f14b2fd9dab1481378a3e5f7538871.th.jpg 7d876e28cd4a72c3a1d96f5909bac04f.th.jpg

Free Image Host - PicTiger

Not all SoundBlaster 16s have the required chips unfortunately.  Some of them have the OPL3 chips built into their large ASICs, as your one does.  If you look at the large chip in the bottom right of your first image, you'll see the "OPL" logo.  This is a sure sign that at least the YMF262 is in there and i can't see the YAC512 anywhere either so that (or an equivalent) will be in there too.

Time to try eBay?  I know the Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 does have it, as well as the Vibra 16 model CT2800 (which isn't on the offical list).