MBSID + BankStick question (NOW BUG!!!)

Wilba

After pulling out my Core + SID modules from over a year ago and reinstalling the latest MIOS and SID app, it boots nicely and shows the first screen. I recall it used to read "P 1 C 1  1---" and now reads "A 1 C 1 1---".

When I plug in my BankStick (which should contain patches from a LONG time ago) the "A" becomes an "H", and I get the "brrrring" sound. I don't think the old patches are there, as it stays on "Internal Patch" even if I change patch with MIOS Studio's keyboard. I also get the "brrrooop" sound when I unplug the BankStick.

I just wanted confirmation (since I can't find answers in the doco):

Does the "A" mean 1st BankStick, and when I plug in my BankStick, it goes to "H" because it thinks I've plugged in a BankStick in the 8th position??? (Even though all my address pins on the BankStick are grounded, i.e. A=0) Or does "H" mean something else?

how many eeproms do you use for your bankstick?

A stays for first eeprom (if you have 8 eeproms, then A is first, H is last [A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H]).

Last settings are saved if you use a bankstick, so if you are choose an instrument on eeprom H, then you will stay on H if you turn the device on.

the "pliiiing" sound is normal if you plug in your bankstick (every "pliiiing" stays for every identify eeprom).

I tried a fresh BankStick, it formats all 128 patches, still switches to bank "H" when I plug it in, even though I only have one BankStick connected to address 0 (all address pins grounded). It appears as if I can't upload patches, or even get patches out of the BankStick with the MIDIbox Patch Manager app. I uploaded patches to the BankStick without a problem in an older version of MBSID, so I don't think it is circuit related (i.e. I've made the MIOS 1.7 hardware changes already, and I get the "pliiing" sound).

I now have realised that I have a 24LC512, not a 24LC256.

Is it the same as this issue?

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5730.msg35248#msg35248

• 3 weeks later...

OK, it seems to be fixed now, although it was still stuck on bank H patch 128 on first powerup, but after changing bank and patch it seems to stick on bank A after a reset.

But during testing I noticed it wasn't responding to a MIDI channel change SysEx message,

i.e. F0 00 00 7E 46 <device-number> 0D 02 00 <channel> F7

Channel stays on 16 (on the display) and I receive SysEx message "F0 00 00 7E 46 00 0F F7"

Other SysEx messages seem to work.

Hi Wilba,

the old settings are still available, since this change only affects the formatting of new (unwritten) EEPROMs. If you want to test this, you could change the "magic numbers" in app_defines.h in order to force a formatting. Thereafter you have to change them back to prevent an unintended formatting on firmware updates

So long the control surface is enabled, it is not possible to change the MIDI channel via SysEx, because the CS handler "owns" this value. I will add this to the docs.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

By adding following code to the debug trigger hook:

USER_MPROC_DebugTrigger
        goto    SID_BANK_FormatStick
[/code]

it's possible to trigger the format function via SysEx (e.g. with MIOS Studio :))

Best Regards, Thorsten.