noob questions. I want to make sure....

poshpol

I want to make sure I have a complete understanding of certain aspects of the MB 64E before i order and build my unit.

- The major difference between the MB 64 and 64E is that the E version supports rotary encoders?

- There is the PIC, which i will buy from SmashTV with the Bootstrap Loader pre-installed. The PIN HEADER will remain 0000... because I will be using a standard LCD right?

- Then, I will upload my OS of choice (for the MB64E) right?

- The Bankstick won't be necessary in my case if I only intend to use one setup for only one program right? (Traktor...)

- The switches can all behave differently but their behavior (momentary, on/off, latch, radio button, etc) is determined by some sort of software configuration, right? This applies to the LED's as well right?

- To tidy things up inside my unit i intend to make a little board, out of verroboard, that will serve as a common ground for the modules, especially if i have unused inputs on the AIN board. Do I ground the chassis on this as well?

I will post more questions as they popup in my head:) Thanks in advance. I hope to clear these issues up as I want to order my modules ASAP.

I want to make sure I have a complete understanding of certain aspects of the MB 64E before i order and build my unit.

- The major difference between the MB 64 and 64E is that the E version supports rotary encoders?

Sort of. Yeah. 64E can support pots too.

- There is the PIC, which i will buy from SmashTV with the Bootstrap Loader pre-installed. The PIN HEADER will remain 0000... because I will be using a standard LCD right?

Yes.

- Then, I will upload my OS of choice (for the MB64E) right?

- The Bankstick won't be necessary in my case if I only intend to use one setup for only one program right? (Traktor...)

- The switches can all behave differently but their behavior (momentary, on/off, latch, radio button, etc) is determined by some sort of software configuration, right? This applies to the LED's as well right?

I'm saying YES! But I'm stupid -and haven't used this configuratiom.

- To tidy things up inside my unit i intend to make a little board, out of verroboard, that will serve as a common ground for the modules, especially if i have unused inputs on the AIN board. Do I ground the chassis on this as well?

You didn't mention AIN before in this post. I don't think that AINs are scanned If You haven't enabled those by editing main.asm.

I will post more questions as they popup in my head:) Thanks in advance. I hope to clear these issues up as I want to order my modules ASAP.

Yer Welcome!

Moebius

I need the AIN board for my pots and faders! I read that it is very important to ground the unused AIN busses from the IC's to prevent erratic behavior...

YES! You're absolutely correct. Ground those from the Ground points in AIN module.

M

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my unit right now. The DIN and CORE boards are both completely built and I am at a point where i want to powerup my Core board and see if I did a good job and that it works right.

1- However, I dont have the recommended power supply (7-10v, 500mA). What i DO have in front of me however is a 9v 200mA one. Can i use this to simply test my circuit without the LCD?

2- In the Troubleshooting FAQ, the person who wrote it mentions some pages here on ucapps regarding testing/measuring. I've looked and I can't find these pages! I want to make sure that my core board is operating fine with power (with or without lcd) without the PIC... i want to measure and test it at the necessary points!

Thanks a lot !

I may have taken a little risk last night and actually tried out my core with the LCD backlight, running off my 200mA transfo. No PIC and no other boards, just the core!

And guess what!!! EVERYTHIGN WORKED FIRST SHOT! I figured out the test points before you posted your reply and had 5.0x volts where it was needed and around 8V on the Voltage Regulator which i assumed was fine. Anyhow at 1am i was delighted to see those black bars on my LCD!

Regardless i didnt run it for a long time, just long enough to get really happy considering everything worked on the first shot. After supper i'm gonna go buy myself a propper 9V 500mA (or closest possible) PSU as well as some female IDC connectors to tidy shit up!

Thanks for your reply :)