rotary encoder behavior

Davo

I finally got the parts together to start building my SID frontpanel.  Some months ago I bought some rotary encoders from Smash.  I just now finished the panel that will go behind the LFO section on the frontpanel.  While testing it, I was a bit baffled by what the rotary encoders did.  I was under the impression that these encoders would briefly connect the inner terminal with one of the outer terminals depending on which direction the shaft was turned.  Instead the inner terminal seems to be constantly connected to the outer terminals and this connection is briefly interrupted whenever the knob is turned.  How are rotary encoders supposed to behave?  Do I have a bad batch?

Do I have a bad batch?

No.  It would not make much sense for me to sell bad parts would it?  ;)

Everything gets sampled and tested here....I can pull samples from batches all the way back to mid 2004....Why do people assume I'm not paying attention to what I sell?  It's one of the many advantages to my small store vs. a  large corporation, I -can- be bothered to get it right -most- of the time..... ;)

... I once read in a "moebius-posting", that for the Bourns-Encoder you have to select Encoder mode: "DETENTED2".

I'm not shure, about this is the solution, but it might help you to find out.

Greets, Roger

I think he's talking about the "Encoder specifications" post: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=3980

Search first, and ye shall find......I typed "smashtv encoders"  in the search to get that result...

Smash