Just toooo cewl: C64 direct TV

pay_c

Hi there!

One of the totally COOLEST ideas in the past few years: http://www.c64dtv.co.uk/

C64 + 30 games + Joystick + all stuff needed in one single joystick with two plugs for the TV (running on 4 AA batteries)! LIKE  :o ;D :o ;D

I do not want to make any commercial about that, but anyhow I'll tell you that it's available @Reichelt for ~20 bucks. I already got one and have to say that this were the best invested 20 bucks in the past few months! I like it like @#%()* !! The sound is surprisingly good, I'll open the joystick up (when I find the time in the next days) and look what's inside. Most possible solution will be a DSP, but anyhow there are chances (quite low) that there could be some 6581-remake in there (perhaaaaps)...

Just wanted to let youy all know, cause I just think this is one hell of a good idea!

Greetz!

Radio Shack sells a TV game (something about four wheel drive trucks) based on the single-chip C64 thing like these, except the Radio Shack thing has some errors fixed and other enhancements (newer code).... Search www.hackaday.com to see what I skimmed over about it.

Some have hacked these to use a real keyboard, plug in a better joystick, etc.

No idea if anyone has been able to load other software, or how bad the SID emulated with an fpga sounds though, might be time to find out...  ;)

Have fun!

Smash

There's definitely not a SID in there, if that's what you're after  :P

There are headers inside to connect to a keyboard tho, and with some sort of simple hack you can get to the original C64 Basic OS. I assume there'll be some kind of connectors you can use for external storage too, tho obviously you'll need to do some soldering (shouldn't be a problem  ;))

Apparently the only reason these connectors weren't on the outside was because they didn't want all the customer support phone calls from people wondering why their 20-year-old games won't play anymore.

C64 DTV and Hummer are the two types but there are also Pal and NTSC DTVs but only NTSC Hummers.

Your shit out of luck if you want good SID performance though, Jerri didn't implement the filters in her emulation :(

So anyway i'm in the middle of hacking a PAL DTV and try to get P64 working by reflashing it onto the board, Then i'll stick it into a box with a real analogue filter ;)

Should be cool if i can get P64 to work :)

try to get P64 working ... Then i'll stick it into a box with a real analogue filter ;)

*ping!*

[me=DrBunsen]switches on notify...[/me]

Has anyone actually managed to "flash" the DTV?  I was under the impression the games were all ROM.

Prophet 64 can take four real pots too, right?

http://jledger.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=dtvhacking

A good search of that forum will show you how to add any port you want including a user port to the Hummer but no user port on a DTV :(

You will find all the flashing info and apps there too and MMC add ons and so on ;)

Somebody already has a P64 thread going so maybe join in on that ?

I haven't posted yet because i haven't even opened my DTV PAL yet

Too busy with MIOS and other stuff at the minute :)

Hope that helps a bit

First of all SORRY for the long time no post, but actually I don't have time for anything (again) as I got a new work and moving around again... ->  :P :P :P

So, I got some pics of the DTV, as awaited some Atmel microcontroller (or similar) + ROM (EEPROM?!? Looks like) and some molded IC on the PCB (whatever's inside there...). If you guys are still interested, I'll post them next time. No obvious SID inside  ;) ;D ;)

Like NAS described: I really do think you can heavily hack this thing as there are many things obvious (like the ROM). I've got to admit, I'd LOVE having R-type on there... :)

Let's see, still some friggin cewl piece of **** I think, I LIKE it! Although I got no time for playing...  :'(

Greetz!