testing of the CORE module for SID use...

bosone

i have just terminated my CORE module for my SID project.

i will do the test in the following days, because i lack the connector for the power supply,. so there is time for some questions! :-)

1) is there any kind of test i can do (apart the voltage control) in order to be sure that the core works, after PIC programming and PC MIDI connection? (some sort of sysex/MIDI communication with MIDI-OX for example...)

2) i have used a TL05 voltage regulator without heatsink... is it safe??

3) i will not mount the LCD screen. will i have to connect the two trimmers P1 and P2? should i connect a resistor or leave the contacts open??

4) all the connectors not used in the SID configurations should be leaved open, right? :-)

5) i have a power supply at 16V 800-900mA (don't remember...) is it OK for powering both module??

thank you very much!!

matteo

Hi Matteo,

1) is there any kind of test i can do (apart the voltage control) in order to be sure that the core works, after PIC programming and PC MIDI connection? (some sort of sysex/MIDI communication with MIDI-OX for example...)

yes, you could send a "ping" command to the core: f0 00 00 7E 46 00 0F F7

The same string should be returned.

2) i have used a TL05 voltage regulator without heatsink... is it safe??
Yes, because the power consumption is very low.

3) i will not mount the LCD screen. will i have to connect the two trimmers P1 and P2? should i connect a resistor or leave the contacts open??
In this case P1 and P2 are not required

4) all the connectors not used in the SID configurations should be leaved open, right? :-)
yep :)

5) i have a power supply at 16V 800-900mA (don't remember...) is it OK for powering both module??
yes, perfect. You could also use a PSU with 200 mA

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest mickb

I have just finished building my MIDI core (based on the PIC 16F877) and all was working fine, then after a while, things stopped working.

I re-sent the SYS-EX file, and unlike before, no return on information.

I tried re-programming the chip, but again no joy.

After reading the above message i tried to 'ping' my core, but nothing came back.

Have i blown something, could anyone suggest what, and how i might find out?

Many Thanks

Michael

Guest mickb

I've tested all the voltages and they seem fine.

I've tried the test programs on my chip, and the test_txrx one which should just pass MIDI information through does pass information through, but its generally nothing like what i sent in.

It seems very strange because like i said everything was working, i just left it for half an hour and when i came back things didn't seem to respond.

Thanks

Michael