Hi - Completely new to all of this!!

JEG

Hi everyone,

I have stumbled across this board in the search of help making my own MIDI controller. I have been dj'ing for a few years, and have recently got myself a copy of Ableton which I think is just incredible.

I want to start dj'ing with it, and am not sure of the best way to go about this. I understand I can buy MIDI controllers that will allow this, but I'm guessing making your own is better as you end up with a tailored-to-fit product.

I also LOVE messing around with electronics, and would see the creation of such a unit as a fantastic hobby. I have very basic understanding of electronics, but I'm quite nimble with my fingers and have always been creative. Is this something that I can get involved in, or will I be out of my depth?

I am confused as to the sorts of things being made here. Are they all MIDI controllers, or are some effects machines?

An introduction to all of this by someone would be really appreciated :)

James.

Ha, sorry I suppose I didn't really search around enough at first!

I dunno, the whole place just looked a bit overwhelming so I thought I'd start things off with a post.

Cheers, for that, I'll start some hardcore reading-up now!

im also building a live controller, and i dont know much about electronics but ive found it fairly easy so far. i do sometimes think its never gonna be finished & that im in way out of my depth but everyone here are very helpful & willing to guide you.

do it!

HA! Cool! You're the first from who I KNOW reading the introduction article! That's cool, PLS (PLS PLS PLS) give me a feedback how you like it and what can be written better, in another way, left away or added, ok JEG? Would be some cool help! THNX!  ;D

I'd suggest finding a good guide to soldering for beginners online and practising that for a while on some scrap components and simple kits from a local kit supplier.  Unless of course you're already experienced at soldering.  You won't need to do any surface mount soldering unless you want to build the MIDIbox FM. 

The ucapps link at the top of this page will take you to the complete run-down on the MIDIbox projects, and the DocuWIKI link will take you to the WIKI page with lots of useful information, including where to buy ready made circuit boards and complete component kits for the various MIDIbox modules.

HA! Cool! You're the first from who I KNOW reading the introduction article! That's cool, PLS (PLS PLS PLS) give me a feedback how you like it and what can be written better, in another way, left away or added, ok JEG? Would be some cool help! THNX!  ;D

No worries - I will definitely give you some feedback when I've finished reading it all!

I'd suggest finding a good guide to soldering for beginners online and practising that for a while on some scrap components and simple kits from a local kit supplier.  Unless of course you're already experienced at soldering.  You won't need to do any surface mount soldering unless you want to build the MIDIbox FM. 

The ucapps link at the top of this page will take you to the complete run-down on the MIDIbox projects, and the DocuWIKI link will take you to the WIKI page with lots of useful information, including where to buy ready made circuit boards and complete component kits for the various MIDIbox modules.

Thanks for the tip. I basically want to build a box that will operate Ableton Live 5, providing me the most comprehensive control possible. Do you think this is something that I am best off making, or would I be best just buying a MIDI control unit, such as the EVOLUTION UC-33e:

http://www.boomerangsounds.co.uk/product.php?xProd=529

Since something like this is not that expensive, it would probably make sense to buy it rather than make my own, if making my own is going to cost more and possibly go wrong! Or will I be able to make something much better than this (if I get it right!!)?

im also building a live controller, and i dont know much about electronics but ive found it fairly easy so far. i do sometimes think its never gonna be finished & that im in way out of my depth but everyone here are very helpful & willing to guide you.

do it!

MEEF - I've sent you a personal message  :)