SB Audigy 2 ZS Notebook & MAudio Uno recommendation

dengel

Looked around for a quality ASIO sound card and  with multiple outs that wouldn't break the bank, and I finally decided on a combo of the PC/MCIA based Audigy 2 ZS and an M-Audio Uno.

Installed last night, and was able to get 20ms latencies on the card, no popping. CPU usage was low (never rose above 10% on a 2.8ghz Hyperthreaded p4, even with 4 channels with EQs and 2 effects channels going simultaneously. In addition to sounding great, it also has all the neat-o gaming and DVD features for when I am not playing with ableton - bonus!

I got mine on eBay for just $50 plus shipping of $11. That's $61 for a card that does 24/96 ASIO with 4 Channels stereo - if I dropped it to 16 bit, I got what looked like 14 outputs stereo in Ableton Live's prefs box.

The only drawback is that it has no MIDI in/Out, so you have to use a second device - I chose the UNO, which at $30 is a great all-in-one solution that even has the midi cables built in.

The whole setup is also a snap to keep in the laptop bag. since it's so very small.

So, for my needs (Live performance with Ableton Live) This setup is ideal at the price point.

ALSO: The same guy that sold me my card is selling another, same price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6877401639&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

Hmm... I suppose so. This isn't really so much an ebay post as it is a parts review that just happens to have a listing where you can get it. So duh, it might be better off in "Parts Archive", not "Parts Questions". Sorry 'bout that folks. Either way - the card's good.