NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! sigh... sob...

bosone

i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO sad......  :(

this afternoon i finished my SID. i was very happy! everything worked at first try and i succeded in listening to the old c64 sounds! cute!

the PCB were not in case, i was just testing. i even added a led to see when the unit is turned on.

after the tests, i left all on my workbech, and unplugged the power supply.

then, after some hours i decided to make some order. i take the core module and ZACK! a spark! the led lighted for a while and then nothing........

i reinsterted the plug, but the led did not lit, and there was no signs of life. the unit made NO sounds!!!!!!!!

i unplugged the PIC, tunred on the power and made the voltage test: evrerything was correct, and the led was lit...

i tried to insert the PIC into the JDM programmer... nothing!!! there were NO data on it and it was not possible to burnb the firmware...

my PIC is DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!! R.i.P.

:-(((

now i have to wait for the microchip free samples, and i suppose they will arrive on late april...

the BIG question is now: is the SID dead, also???

how can i control if it is sane???????

SID and CORE module are connected to the same power supply and were linked altogether when happened the  spark...

It's a great pity! :-(

If you own a C64, you could test the SID with the computer, otherwise I see no chance without a PIC.

However, when I look into my shelf which is full of electronical components I see a lot of PIC16F877-04 which I got as samples from a german distributor. He sent me the 4 MHz version by fault but never wanted them back. I used two of them some weeks for my SID modules (overclocked!), but now I've replaced them by PIC18F452. Since I've no use for these PIC16F chips anymore, I could give you one for free, just email your postal address :)

In the meantime you should try to find the root cause for this failure, so that it never happens again!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Matteo,

oh - I overclocked the chips with 20 MHz and noticed no failures (I had luck!). But ok, so I have to search for another useful job for the chips. Maybe I should build even more SID units ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Congrats!!!

It´s sad hear about a malfunction Sid.

I havn´t started my own yet But i´ll do as soon as I finish my final studie (the beginning of April.. :) )

I just got the samples today and I bought a C64 a couple of weeks ago (it´s still about 150km away from my home though...) so im almost ready to rock!!

:D