knobs

sas

Hey sas, one thing I like to do to find different parts like knobs is to take a trip to my local music store and check out all the parts on various pieces of gear. Once you find something with knobs you really like, special order them from the same store!! Most of the mega-chain type music stores will have a lot of gear to get ideas from and generally can special order parts like that no problem. Some pieces with nice rubberized knobs are the Alesis Ion and Micron, various DigiDesign control surfaces like 002 and D-Command, M-Audio controllers, etc. Just go there and go "shopping" There's no rules to DIY!!  ;)

Hope that helps. ;D

-tel3

Some pieces with nice rubberized knobs are the Alesis Ion and Micron, various DigiDesign control surfaces like 002 and D-Command, M-Audio controllers, etc. Just go there and go "shopping"

FWIW, I really liked the knobs on the notorious Alesis 3630 compressor, and called them to try to do that once. They told me they had a "maximum" on that, and they could send me a certain amount (just a few), but it wouldn't have cut it for what I wanted. It may be one of those deals where it depends on who you catch on the phone, and what they ate for breakfast that day though. It also may have been the quantity of that particular knob that they had on hand then (I think he went and checked). They sent me a brand new body for an HR-16 once, free of charge, and it showed up in a couple weeks.

Also, I'm considering dipping or painting some knobs with liquid latex (craft store junk) to get that same feel you're looking for. It's colorless when it dries, and I've also had luck colorizing it (black only) with latex paint. It seemed like it would work if you mask off or plug up the areas you want to keep clean. It's cheap too (under 10 USD here).

Good Luck,

George  (and let me know if you see any "3630 looking" knobs, ideally with no index mark ;))

On the subject of knobs, does anybody have a source for small dome knobs like on the TR-505/626??

Basically what I want is some low profile knobs to match the look. I don't want to just stick some ugly knobs on there, they need to be quite low profile.

Alternatively, does anyone have a source for small 6-band slider modules??

Back on topic, RSwww.com and Maplin.co.uk are a decent source for most knobs in the UK. Most of them have the markers though I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I'm considering dipping or painting some knobs with liquid latex (craft store junk) to get that same feel you're looking for. It's colorless when it dries, and I've also had luck colorizing it (black only) with latex paint. It seemed like it would work if you mask off or plug up the areas you want to keep clean. It's cheap too (under 10 USD here).

Have you considered Plastidip.. or tooldip by its generic name? It comes in several colors. White, black, red, blue, green... etc. It's latex based, so you could color mix. Some of the better tool supply stores stock it in smooth and rough finish as well. I havn't tried it for this purpose but it could be a good idea?

Another nice idea might be powder coating aluminum knobs.. expensive unless you 'know a guy' but damn nice custom touch.