midi time out! what's up?? / din trouble

gi_joe

hi there, another troublesome post.

here's the case: my seq is almost working, except for the third and last dinx4 in the chain. i decided to see if it would work if i soldered it after the first one, leaving the second DIN out. so i did, and i uploaded midi128 to check if the buttons and encoders connected worked. i started uploading, then after the send of the first block (i don't know if it arrived..) the core restarts and i get the message 'MIDI Time Out! What's up ???' on my screen. (my lcd screen, mind you)

what the hell is this?! how did it get here? all i really did was arrange my din's in another way. i didn't even touch the core.

second, what could cause that third DIN board not to work? i switched ic's, checked, doublechecked, triplechecked (... etc.) all the connections, the boards.. measured voltages (wich seem to be in order for as far as i can tell).. i'm totally utterly lost..

thanks a million.

Hi gi_joe,

it's important for MIOS to know the exact amount of shiftRegisters (SR, each black IC on one D-module means a SR => one DIN connected = 4 ShiftRegisters).

If you have only three DINs but the software wants to talk to 16 SRs (ie expects 4 DIN-Modules), this is the very likely reason for you troubles.

Put back all 4 DINs and check the inter-connections of the D-modules. Maybe exchange the position of the modules, to see if the problem is somewhere at the core or the chain or if the error is on the respective module.

I know it from myself, even if I check everything twice, I then find the soldering error the third time I'm looking :)

Cheers,

Michael

...and have you soldered the bypass caps on the backside?

hi..

i see! i supposed the software might be looking for 10 shiftregisters, as only 10 of them were in the din hookup schematic for the seq. (i am building a sequencer by the way)

the thing is that the board wich doesn't seem to work alright did work when i put it first in the chain, but when it's last in the chain (where it's supposed to be) the encoders and buttons just don't work.. i was figuring it might be somewhere in the interconnection between the second and third din module, but i have no idea where to look for errors.

it's especially nasty that i have this midi timeout error in the way, so even if this din problem got miraculously fixed, i still won't be able to do anything..

does anyone know what this timeout thing is?

The timout might be likely related to your DIN problem, so I first would solve that one.

And I don't know about the MB SEQ, but 10 SR means 3 DIN-Modules.

here's an obvious suggestion:

10 SRs means the last 2 SRs are not connected, right?

Have you connected your buttons in the right order? That means from pin 0 to pin 16 (or whatever) and not from pin 17 to pin 31?

If that does not help:

Take a break, then look again. You have to know where the error is. So try logically and proceed until you got the point. Swap the DIN-modules to learn if it's the position or any module in particluar, if it's something connected to the module(s) or the chaining of modules(core)...

;)

Michael

btw: also the DOUT can cause problems, because it uses SR's, too!

well, it's like this:

i had the din problems way before i got the midi timeout thing. my core worked like it should with: no din's connected, one din connected and two dins connected. it also worked okay with the third one connected, only the connected switches didn't respond..

then yesterday, after changing the order of the din's, i suddenly got that timeout-error. it still occurs, with nothing but a power cable and 2 lcd's connected to core, so i doubt that being a problem with the din's, really..

i have no idea where to look for the midi timeout! error, i haven't even touched the core long before it happened.

i wonder what tk (or any other midibox superhero) has to say about this midi timeout..

Some words to the MIOS_SRIO_Number parameter (number of SRs): it's allows to set 16 by default, if less shift registers when the given number are connected, the pull up resistor at the end of the DIN chain will ensure that no random values will be scanned (the last buttons values are read as 1 -> inactive)

When you remove a DIN shift register from the middle of the chain, the last ones are not connected to the core anymore, therefore they won't be scanned.

i started uploading, then after the send of the first block (i don't know if it arrived..) the core restarts and i get the message 'MIDI Time Out! What's up Huh' on my screen. (my lcd screen, mind you)

if the upload cannot be completed, invalid code will be executed. Anything can happen, the MIDI time out is only a random side effect.

Use the latest MIOS Studio version, and try to upload again. Don't continue debugging until the upload was successfull, it doesn't make much sense

Best Regards, Thorsten.

right, i see.

i tried uploading again, but it's just stuck on the first block.

can it be that it'll take very very long to complete? it just looks totally not like i'm used to. normally uploading an application is done in half a minute, now it won't even get past the first block in 5 minutes.

here's what's on my mios studio input monitor:

timestamp 113096000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

i start uploading and i get:

timestamp 136597000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0E 0B 00 F7

timestamp 136623000 us: [FF] System Reset

timestamp 136638000 us: Sysex message: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 0E 0C 00 F7

especially this [FF] system reset isn't quite positive i think..

enlighten me! :)

0E 0B means MIDI overrun error, this matches with the message on the display (time out)

The rest doesn't need to be taken into account, because I think that the reason for the failure is obvious: there was a problem with the upload some time ago, now some invalid/random code is executed, and data cannot be uploaded anymore once the application has been started.

This means in other words: just overwrite the invalid code via first level bootloader. This must be done within 2 seconds after power on

Best Regards, Thorsten.

oh boy, this is weird.

i tried uploading again, let it run for about 10 minutes without anything showing up on the lcd screen or on the mios midi monitor (nothing like 'upload succesful or anything'. then, being dissapointed, i just powered off, powered on again and voila, it worked!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

i wish i knew what was going on here, but i think i'll just be happy it's working again.

what is very strange, is that my din's don't seem to do anything anymore now. not even the ones that did work before this midi timeout thing.

debugging time. :)

edit: i typed this while you posted your reply.. i guess i just hit 'start just on time'. anyway, any thoughts on the din thing? i guess the whole din chain not working is a connection problem, but that third din really boggles me. what could make this last board react in a way that i does work in itself but refuses to when it's in the chain?

Upload the program properly via first level bootloader, "invalid code" really means "random behaviour". It doesn't make sense to think about symptoms when the application is not complete!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

heh.. i think there's a little miscommunication here because of me typing messages while you already replied, but here's the situation at this moment:

the app loaded just fine, and it seems to be working again!

now it leaves me with debugging the din section, of wich i have one (the first in chain) working. going to make the others work now too, but since i had major troubles getting the third and last DIN to work, could you keep an eye out for this thread in case i get stuck again?

thanks for the help!

oh boy oh boy oh boy!

you can't imagine how happy i am. that interconnection test saved the day. it was a lousy on the second DIN that prevented the sc line current to flow through to the third board.

all fixed now.

i could almost kiss you thorsten  :P

thanks!