CORE MIDI Chaining

aminoplacid

Hello,

I am planning my purchases for the multi sid solution. I am looking for a clean wiring solution for the midi chaining to the slave cores. FYI, I bought the cores from SmashTV and am using the optimized PSU. Also, I am trying to avoid soldering the wires to the pins anywhere I can. The J11 needs to be daisy chained to the slaves so my question is how I might connect the incoming and outgoing wires to one pin with a female connector? Might best solution is using a 2 pin female header (as the J11 is dual row with the 2nd row not being connected to anything) with incoming and outgoing connected to it. But somehow the connector would have to act as a jumper to connect the two wires. Does a connector like this exist? Any better suggestions? I hope I am making sense. Thanks for the help.

-Derek

If you're using female header connectors, you could be using "IDC" + ribbon cable ("Insulation Displacing Connector" which clips on to your ribbon cable with pliers, no stripping needed), or you could be using the little molex-style housings with individual female pins that crimp to your wires.

If you go with the molex style connectors, you can buy the pins for slightly larger wire, then just twist them together and crimp them in the same pin.  Plus, if you want to only buy the one size of pin, you can still crimp the smaller wire into it by stripping twice as much insulation off and doubling the wire back.

You only need one wire, to connect the MIDI output of the master Core with the MIDI input of the slave Cores. It is NOT a typical "daisy chain"... you DO NOT want to connect the MIDI output of the slave Cores to the MIDI input of the master Core!

I use a chain of wire lengths joined together with the crimp pins that go inside a single row header connector. In this context, you don't need that black plastic header connector, as there is only one connection and you can just push the single female pin onto the male pin on the PCB. Cut three lengths of wire and join them together in a chain using the female crimp pins (two crimp pins in the middle will crimp onto two wire ends).

I also use this "chain" idea for my power wires, using two or four pin header connectors.