A question of voices...

SexyBeast

Hi folks,

I'm sure this is a very stupid question  :-[ , but I just cant't find this piece of information on the page.

I wonder how many voices has the SID module? Is it monophonic? I read somewhere that it has "three channels". Does that mean it provides three voices the same time?

Can anybody help plz?

thanks, SB

The SID has three oscillators, going into one filter and one envelope-controlled VCA.  So it can be used as one voice composed of three oscillators, or thanks to TK's nifty PIC programming, the three oscillators can be used to play individual separate notes, with (I think) different tones.  Those notes still go through the one filter/amp stage.

I suppose the analogue input could be considered another oscillator.

Thank you very much, DrBunsen! I nearly wasn't expecting an answer anymore...  ;)

But the answer leads to the next question:

Would it be possible to connect e.g. 4 SID modules to one (or more) core(s) and to let a polyphonic MIDI-signal be routed on the different SIDs?

Or, in other words, to let the core(s) split a played e.g. 4-note-chord into one tone per SID?

That would mean one had to program a sort of MIDI-"logic" that always knows which notes to play, depending on the number of SID modules connected and MIDI notes pressed. One had to implement some sort of "last note priority".

Thorsten, have you planned something like that or is it already possible?

regards, SB

Currently you can play the 3 voices in Mono, (Legato), and Poly mode. That means that a Note Stack has already been implemented. Oh, and I just remember that the PIC18F version is slightly "incompatible" with the PIC16F version, because it supports three note stacks which can be assigned to three different MIDI channels ;D

Planned: Key Split, so that three different voices can be played on one MIDI channel (also nice for drums), and Unisono (possibility to stack even more SIDs to one MIDI channel with slightly changed parameters)

Not planned: two SID modules at one core. I must repeat myself: the software part of the SID eats alot of CPU power, so that a second SID cannot be served with the same features. So I decided not to waste my time for this cheap solution, but to support a method to control up to 3 additional SID slaves from one "master" core. See also the news section.

Best Regards, Thorsten.