The Mystery Core.

nebula

Remember, I'm relatively new at this, so I would ask that you kindly be patient with me while I seek help...

I am working with a CORE that I am reasonably confident I have working - sort of.  I obtained the module second-hand from somebody who decided not to continue with the project.

He wasn't sure what is currently on the PIC.

I have been able to power up the Core, and thanks to the help of some users, I got MIOS Studio running on my Mac.  It seems the Core has a version of MIOS on it, but I don't know how to tell what version that is.  On power up it sends:

F0 F7

F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7

Ch1 prog change 0 (3 times)

(*) F0 00 00 7E 46 01 0D 00 00 00 F7

F0 00 00 7E 46 01 0D 01 00 00 F7

F0 00 00 7E 46 01 0D 02 00 00 F7

...then a much longer sysex message

...then repeats from "(*)" two more times.

I have not yet gotten my LCD to work.  I don't know if it works or not.  I think I have it connected correctly, but I am continuing to investigate and experiment with this.

I have tried uploading stuff to the CORE via MIDI, and I have even seen it seem to reboot itself immediately after the upload process, but the behaviour is the same.  So, I'm not sure if it is receiving MIDI properly.

My two questions:

(1) is there a way to tell, from the data I showed above, what is actually on the PIC?

(2) is there a simple way to get it to loop back MIDI so I can be sure it is communicating properly?

[egad - I've been up all night!  i'm going to bed.  thanks to all who have helped so far]

OK, does this mean I have MIDI working correctly:

- In MIOS Studio I attempt to send the HEX file (with mios_update_v1.9b) "update_with_old_mios.hex"

- I have "wait for upload request before starting upload" and "use feedback from core" checked.

- I press 'Start', then apply power to the Core.

- MIOS Studio sends all blocks.  I notice that sometimes it reads a lot of "Received Upload Request" messages between "sending block xxxx" messages...

- At the end of the process it says "Upload process complete"

So far, so good... but what if MIOS STUDIO doesn't really "know" it worked correctly...

- I try to do this operation after removing the cable connecting my computer's OUT to the MIDI IN of the CORE (so that the computer still receives messages from the core, including the initial Upload Request):

- MIOS Studio tells me it received "unexpected MIOS SysEx message" several times and the job (obviously) does not finish.

From this I am guessing that MIDI is working correctly, from a hardware perspective.  It is obviously responding in a way MIOS STUDIO wants to see.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Now, to test it further, I want to upload MIDIMon.

Does MIDIMon automatically pass data received at the Core's IN to its OUT, or is it "IN" only?

Also, I am TRYING to figure out what my PIC ID is, but I can't seem to figure out how to derive that from the Sysex it is sending out.

I notice that sometimes it reads a lot of "Received Upload Request" messages between "sending block xxxx" messages...

Looks like youre core gets rebooted while uploading update. It is either that or a semi-bad wire-ing/cabling.

About your pic id I'm not sure but it looks to me it is "1", you can find on the forums that info.