Arcade buttons for foot controller

spazmatron

I'm in the process of making a foot controller with a lot of buttons for triggering clips in Ableton.  I've searched and searched for the appropriate buttons.  I'm going to have around 100 or so buttons, so I have to balance cost with function.

I was considering arcade buttons.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  I'm not going to be stomping on them, just tapping them.  I know Smash has arcade experience, since he's not a very busy guy, maybe he could respond on this. (just kidding about the "not busy part"!)

If this will work, what should I look for in an arcade button? (brand,etc.)

Thanks for your thoughts

I have a lot of experiance with arcade buttons.

The best ones to go for are the classic arcade ones. 1 inch round colored plastic.

The clear illuminated buttons have a tendency to crack quickly.

As for price, you are SOL there, as they are not really cheap. Sometimes you can get bulk buttons but for the most part, they are a few bucks a piece. At a hundred buttons, thats going to get expensive FAST.

I dont really see why you would need one hundred buttons on a foot controller, so I am assuming you ment 10?  ;)

Anyway, these are the toughest buttons I have worked with:

http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5896xxl.htm

Happs full selection of buttons is here:

http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/pushbuttons.htm

Like I said, the clear caps on the illuminated ones (some of them are colored) tend to crack.. but if you are nice to them they should last a while. Obviously, the large dome ones are the most susceptable to cracking.

Thanks for the help guys.  I was looking at the X-Arcade buttons at 20 for $20.  I like the Happ buttons because of the domed tops and the different colors, but they also cost about twice as much.  Yes I really want about 100 or so.  This could mean a difference of $100 or more for the Happ buttons.  Does anyone know how the cheaper buttons compare?  I would rather spend $200 once, than spend $100 just to turn around and spend $200 anyway because my cheaper buttons broke. However if they'll work, the X-arcade buttons would difinitely fit my budget better.

Oh and all of my electronics are on a strict diet of brown ales and cheesecake.

Thanks again for the advice.

Why would you want 100 buttons in the first place? If you use ableton, there are many ways to trigger clips, and a 100 button solution aint the best option ;) try an encoder and 10 channel buttons, that should work perfect. You can control up to 10 channels and with the encoder you browse the one you need...

You might need pretty nimble toes for the encoder on a footswitch ;)

Still, you could have patch shift buttons... One Up, One Down, Five Up, Five Down, etc.... Four buttons could save a lot of others.

If it's going to be a foot controller then the buttons need to be as far apart as your foot is wide, with a bit of room to spare, so 100 of those would be a controller so wide you'd have to take a walk to get to the other end. Not sure how you plan on working that? Maybe it's for more than one person?

Stryd_one has a point. Perhaps it's a floorboard for an entire orgestra?  ;)

How about, 2 x 5 buttons, and at the most right or lef, 2 buttons for clip up-down. I don't know how fast you need to trigger clips and if you a monitor to see the clip u are triggering, but this could work.

In ableton you can tell your clips to select the next one you need, to trigger that one. Perhaps that's an idea. I don't know how you trigger them. Perhaps, if you explain, someone can tell you the best solution or at least help with it.

As stryd_one said, 100 buttons will need a HUGE case, much money, lot's of soldering, more than 1 core, etc etc etc. So, not the best option  :P

Does anyone know how the cheaper buttons compare?  I would rather spend $200 once, than spend $100 just to turn around and spend $200 anyway because my cheaper buttons broke. However if they'll work, the X-arcade buttons would difinitely fit my budget better.

The buttons that I have used so far from X-arcade is still working. But then again, I hardly use my Street Fighter game that much anymore :(  Since my new thing now is MIDIBOX stuff ;D

mechanically they are the same as any others, so I would guess that they are just as tough.. Its only a matter of no color choices.

They got them in huge bulks and can thus make the price low, dont think it has anything to do with quality really.

A rotory encoder could be turned on its side, and rather large.. placed on the side of the box and perhaps made from a 4 or 5 inch wheel, so as to be rolled with the foot.