Something is stopping power and lowering it to the half . .

dcreatorx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi dcreatorx

Smash has placed the parts correctly, its just that the pic and the 6n138 are oriented in opposite directions.

if you view the core on SmashTV's site http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_coreR4.html you will see that the orientation notch of the pic is to the left, while the orientation notch of the 6n138 is to the right.  i only mentioned this because i caught myself assuming that the notch on both chips where to be facing the same way.  i don't know what would have happened if i did this and turned the power on (probably just blow the 6n138).

i will reiterate, i do not know of any mistakes done by SmashTV in the design of his boards.

OrganGrinder

Have you ever tried to swap the pins on the MIDI jacks - just to be shure that you haven't misread the original schematic? Just a question (it is described in the MIDI troubleshooting guide, but although you've mentioned this, I'm not sure if you really did all the tests)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I assume that what you mean with swapping the MIDI jacks is to set up correctly the jack config and the ports on the PC right ?

It's cross connected. I mean, The cable that has the "MIDI IN" label, is connected to the "MIDI OUT" of core and viceversa. I posted a picture few posts before with my PC config if you want to see it. Thanks T.K.

No, I mean the pins of the jack. When you look into the schematic:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_core_v3.pdf

you will notice that it displays the rear view. Maybe you've mixed this with the front view? This happens very often, therefore I can just recomment: make a quick try and swap the pins - it has helped in most cases in the past.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody ! I mounted my LCD and It's connected to the core. I get a black digit row when I turn it on. What this mean ? And other question : I bought my LCD from smashTV : the backlit does not work, and everything is pretty good connected, following the instructions and the LCD cable tutorial. Thanks.

I get a black digit row when I turn it on. What this mean ?

That means its correctly installed.  What bootloader version are you running? If it is 1.1, you have to update it to 1.2 for MIOS 1.9 to work properly, that may be the problem you are having

The sticker on my PIC says that I'm using MIOS_BOOTSTRAP_V1_1B, Is that correct ?

I remember that with the old cores, I have installed MIOS 1.8 in the ID_00 pic, the main one. Is it right that the LCD should show that MIOS is installed even without any connection via MIDI ? ( Nothing appears, just the black row when tested ) The tutorial say that the LCD screen is good for debugging. What should I do now ?

You cant upload mios 1.9 with the 1.1 bootloader, it will need to be updated to 1.2 (instructions are in the zip in the downloads section.) This may be a chicken or the egg type deal so I would at least try to bring it to the current version to make sure thats not the problem you are experiencing (I went through the same thing where it would just send the request no matter what i did to it)

If your getting a request sysex string, then you should be good to go.  You can also try just sending an older mios to see if thats the problem

I tryed everything and I can't communicate with the PC. Do you think that would be better to try with other computer ? I don't think so, because my gameport was working fine with the older cores. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Assume nothing ;)

When troubleshooting it is imperative to do things one at a time.

Go to this page http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

Perform all of the tests, in that order, one by one, and report your findings.

I did all the tests already, you can take a look at the older posts. But because the MIDI IN/OUT jacks are PCB mounted, I can't fix anything ? There is nothing wrong with the solder department. I even opened new optocouplers, in theyr respective bags to change them for the already installed. All the resistors and caps are mounted where they should be mounted. I get the right voltages. The LCD works. I will post detailed pictures of the core to show you how it is. Thanks.

In one of your older posts I can see that you are using a MPU-401 MIDI interface. Is this part of your mainboard, or a soundcard? Did you check that the interface itself is working, e.g. with a direct loopback PC MIDI Out -> PC MIDI In?

Just to ensure...

If this is a gameport based interface, you could try a direct TTL connection over the MIDI Link port of the core w/o optocoupler. This maybe gives you some more input, what is working.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I did all the tests already, you can take a look at the older posts.

I did, but I asked anyway, as sometimes the problems evade us, and your troubleshooting hadn't seemed to work so far, so it seemed like maybe something had been missed.

I get the right voltages.

Not at the MIDI in though.... Didn't you say the LED doesn't flicker?

Ok, I did the MIDI in debug again . .  I don't get any voltage there, and somethimes when I plug the core to the power I've got some sysex dump from midi out, that has the right voltage. What should I check if none of the LED MIDI in debug test are working ? Can you tell me how to check the polarity of the protection diode ? I'm following the  smash TV PCB drawing, but just to know how. Thanks a lot.

(Question) : What voltage do I need at the MIDI IN port ? Thanks.

In one of your older posts I can see that you are using a MPU-401 MIDI interface. Is this part of your mainboard, or a soundcard? Did you check that the interface itself is working, e.g. with a direct loopback PC MIDI Out -> PC MIDI In?

Just to ensure...

If this is a gameport based interface, you could try a direct TTL connection over the MIDI Link port of the core w/o optocoupler. This maybe gives you some more input, what is working.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, when I do a loopback, it works. It is part of the mainboard, It does not come from a soundcard.

Hi Thorsen ! ! In a moment of rage, I went to a friend's home and I took from him an spare Sound blaster Live!

Now once installed, I can get to communicate finally ! I get the normal request and I  tryed to upload small applications and everything works ! But I have the LCD connected, and It does not show the copyright message when connected. I tried to upload MIOS and then I've got the following error at MIOS studio : Reveived error code 04: Write failed ( Verify error or invalid address) Aborting after 3 errors. Thank you this is a great step for me ! Now what can happen ? I will check everything arround the tutorials by now . . .

Best regards. 

Important : I see only the normal request that means that MIOS is already uploaded, not the continuous request.

I must say, that this is exactly what I've expected, therefore I urged you to doublecheck the gameport MIDI in this way - mainboard based MIDI interfaces are sometimes not reliable, don't know if this is related to the chipset, or to the windows driver. Therefore you can find this info at the bottom of the troubleshooting page, but most people just ignore this hint, and expect the problem somewhere else... don't know, how this "trouble" can be avoided...

To the upload errors: this behaviour is correct (invalid address), everything works well.

Just read this thread again, look especially for the hints given for the mios v1.9 and bootloader v1.2 update procedure.

Please read also the README.txt file of the MIOS update package

Best Regards, Thorsten.