which MIOS to use? question about uploading MIOS studio

dj_statikfire

Hello, LIST.

I've got a pair of R4 Cores which are ready to be loaded with MIOS.

I plan on using the Core with an LCD, 1 AIN, 1 AOUT.

Could I upload the MB64 OS for use?

What happens if I use this version without the other boards present?

I more or less wish to test the functionality before I get all fancy.

Would ultimatly like to have 32 buttons, 32 pots, LCD.

Later I plan on using LED's with the DOUT, but I'd like to get my feet on the ground first.

Lastly, if I happen to have a PIC18F programmer kit, can I upload the OS directly, without going through the MIDI interface?

Please advise.

THX,

Jason Duerr

my name is not list but i'll try to answer some of your questions..

first lets get our facts straight.. there is only one mios.. this is the operating system for most if not all the stuff you see here on ucapps.de

the application itself (like the sid application or in your case the midibox64 application) runs on this operating system and is uploaded via midi. as is mios.. the bootloader (which makes it possible to upload the os and the application) is burned via a pic burner like your pic18f programmer kit.. as for mios studio.. this is a java based program which facilitates the upload via midi. this is not a program which needs to be uploaded to the PIC!!!

as for uploading the m64 app to the PIC before you go all out.. this is absolutely possible.. it doesnt hurt the core in anyway.. but might want to be able to control the menu, then you would need a DIN board.. but i might be wrong about that.. but you want to use 32 buttons so a DIN would be implied..

hope this helps..

Thanks so much for the reply.

I do have a DIN module, but i thought its only use was for LED's, which i wanted to implement later. Looks like I need to do more reading.

It was my understanding that the bootloader's function is to help move MIOS onto the PIC, and the CORE is basically useless with just the bootloader on it.

I was confused because on the MIOS download page, the first item is version 1.9 update, which to me looked like ONLY an update. But this is actually the whole latest, greatest MIOS, correct?

Documentation on this project is terrific, but I still get stuck here and there.

Thank you for the help!

Jason Duerr

You mean Lister? Nah he's in stasis right now.  ;)

LED's need a DOUT module; an LED is an output but not an input device. I think there's some info about the modules on the wiki as well as ucapps.de, it might be worth a read. And yes, the 1.9 update has both the full 1.9 OS, and an upgrade from 1.8