1200 parameters MIDI controller

scube

Hello,

this is my first post in this forum. I'd like to realize my first MIDI controller for my softsynth and I'd like to approach MBHP. I have to control more than 1200 parameters (I have a 30 x 30 points matrix). I'd like also to use 8 digit LED displays for every (300) rotary encoder/fader. My first question is: Can I do it?

Thanks,

Scube

Hi Scube,

if you look at the uCapps page you can see the maximum numbers supported by the different readymade mb-projects. if you have no programming-skills, you could simply use more of them and build them into one case, for example. this should be no problem as they are all pretty configurable.

else you could write your own app. if you design it good (connections right ordered and numbering friendly behavior; eg. fader 10 sends cc 7 on ch 10, whereas fader 12 sends cc 7 on ch 12...) it should be not toooo much hassle... but that depends on your demands. custom applications can be quite easy (sending a midi-value) to very complex (multi-core linking, lcd-menues, encoder behaviors, bankstick support)... the coding itself is not the most difficult thing at all, it's the ordering process and keeping ones demand low ;D

...the syntax of C is easy, take a look at the MIOS-C-Reference and you've seen 75% of what you could do by code.

with 300 encoders (or even 150) you need multiple cores anyway, so why don't you just start with one core (with up to 4 DIN-modules supporting up to 8 Encoders each DIN)? By realizing your project stepwise and fully modular you can slowly grow it to it's final size... and you'll surely know by then if you'd like to solder 900 wirings ;D hehe...

If you need just one setup and no dynamic menues, patches or stuff - and enjoy soldering, you've probably found the best place in the midibox-world :)

cheers, ;)

Michael

ps: it's always a good idea to keep the cabling (esp. for AIN-signals) as short as possible ;)

with 300 encoders (or even 150) you need multiple cores anyway, so why don't you just start with one core (with up to 4 DIN-modules supporting up to 8 Encoders each DIN)? By realizing your project stepwise and fully modular you can slowly grow it to it's final size... and you'll surely know by then if you'd like to solder 900 wirings ;D hehe...

Really thanks Michael. I'm a newbie in MIDI controllers and I think I have to study a lot to realize my controller. I was thinking to start with one core, so I can understand how difficult is my project. I'm not sure that I can use "linked" modiboxes...in this way do you think I will be able to store a "global patch"?

As regards C++.. my brain is visual-based. It needs visual feedback to work :P

Best,

Scube

don't worry about C++, you just need plain C which makes the whole thing less complex (my personal opinion :D)...

as I mentioned, just sending a CC is easy, storing patches requires at least a logical thinking about ordering some bytes and setting up an idea of a memory table (with a calculator at hand).

in short:

the answer is: you can do (nearly) everything,

the question is: how much endurance and money are you willing to put into your project (have you thought of the fact, that the cheapest encoders are ~1 EUR (normally 2 - 5), this is a respectable sum; just for Encoders, no knobs, no faders, no chips, no LCDs, no PCBs... if you know what I mean...

to be honest: I wouldn't solder 600 euros to start experimenting, maybe you find some use for a ready available DIY-project like the MBHP_clock or a simple midi-filter-box for the beginning; you can always re-use the modules later on and upload another application.

or you adopt your demands to the maximum supported number of interface hardware parts, then you could start with a ready-available project like midibox64(e) or something, these apps have a lot of features that are tested, optimized and work very well... there should be a good reason to ignore these apps if you are a non-programmer ;)

keep it up!

Cheers,

Michael

Audiocommander, why should he start with another project? Why not just a 64E?

64E is fine; that's why I also recommended that in my previous posting!

...but because MB64E is written in ASM, you don't get to know anything about C – and the C-Support of MIOS/SDCC is a nice thing.

While building a ClockBox or designing a custom FilterBox, you get in touch with the most important C-Basics without complicating it too much.

But sure, agree, MB64E would be a good starting point and maybe sufficient enough to control 1200 parameters by using patches :)

#Cheers,

AC