Circuit-Diagrams to Stripboard Advice

toneburst

Hiya,

I'm a bit of an electronic construction newbie, though I've soldered-up various pre-designed kits in the past. I'm trying to work out how to convert the 'mbhp_4xsid_c64_psu_optimized' circuit-diagram into a stripboard layout, and am a bit stuck as to how to approach the task. Does anyone happen to have made this particular circuit on stripboard, or have a diagram of it I could look at? Alternatively, any general tips on planning a job like this would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

alx

http://www.toneburst.net

Well, the biggest thing for doing this is practice.  Your first few on stripboard are pretty much guarenteed to be ugly, which probably won't affect how they work.  As time goes on you'll find that you can isolate segments of the circuit mentally and organize the components accordingly.  Alot of times you can roughly follow the schematic itself to start with.  I find that it can help not to solder anything in untill I've stuffed the board and taken a good look at it.  With a PSU you want to be sure that the path to ground for each component does not travel through another component.  Following a well layed out schem can be helpful for this too. 

rather than strip board you could consider breadboarding it. back of the board looks sort of like  |=||=|  sp tjat you have a bus on the outsides, two busses on the inside (just under the center of the chips). The horizontal pin holes usually give three holes per chip pin.

The reason I suggest this type of board is that you can build it and 'practice' your design on a plug in breadboard first, make changes and adjustments.. then copy it to a permanant board.

so, practice on this

http://www.iguanalabs.com/breadboard.htm

then  just buy a couple of the solder boards that match the pattern.