Manufacturing Error from PCBFABEXPRESS

c0nsumer

IMG_4702.JPG

Anyone want to see what a rather frustrating PCB manufacturing error looks like? That. Right there.

This is almost too small to see with the naked eye and was located on the top side of one of my MIDIbox SID-NUXX's mainboard PCBs, beneath the power socket. (Look here for a scan of a good PCB, the power socket is in the lower left.)

Unfortunately I found the error after one of my 12VAC wall warts mysteriously stopped working while I was doing testing / final assembly on my 8580-based device. With wall wart power supplies being relatively cheap I figured the one had simply died, so I tested a second, hooked it up, and it too died. A bit of poking later and I found that one of the AC lines were being connected to ground. This had to happen at either half the bridge rectifier, the power switch, the power connector, or something somewhere in between. Since no part of either the power switch or the power jack (SW1 and PWR1, respectively) connect to ground, it had to be a defect. Nothing was visable, so I lifted the power connector. A little blurryness was visible between the groundplane and annular ring, and the above macro photo confirmed the defect.

Of the five PCBs I had made two are known good, this one has this error, and I've yet to check out the other two. This error should be readily fixable with a Dremel and a dental bit. I just hope there aren't other, more hidden errors.

Does "PCBFABEXPRESS" provide a description about the required design rules?

Did you run a DRC before ordering the PCBs?

Yes, on both counts. It's well within spec. It passed just fine. I figure that if that were the problem there would be more errors than that, especially around vias and some of the finer traces. I've actually got a total of ten other PCBs here using that same part footprint, and for all but two of them I've confirmed that they are made properly. The other two haven't been confirmed yet simply because I haven't had a chance.

I really think this is a defect. As soon as I'm absolutely certain that the other two PCBs are good, I'll contact PCBFABEXPRESS about a replacement or whatnot.

-Steve

UPDATE: For what it's worth, the rules they publish are here. They say 6mil and I checked everything to 8mil.

In case anyone is curious, I've been engaging in an email exchange with PCBFABEXPRESS regarding this error. In short, they are refusing to replace the board and hiding behind a policy alternatively called "No Interference" or "No Touch", neither of which is mentioned on their website. Their FAQ does state that "If your printed circuit boards are not made to your specifications, we will remake them immediately.", but clearly they are not following through on this statement. Nor are they offering any sort of compensation for manufacturing a defective product.

I've begun writing reviews of board houses which may appeal to hobbiests, those needing prototypes made, or any small-run board uses. This is in a section of my site entitled PCB Prototype Shops. The section that will be of most interest is the PCBFABEXPRESS review where you can read the exact email responses I received from the customer service department.

As you can probably gather, because of the poor customer service and their lack of interest in following through on their company's policy of replacing PCBs which contain manufacturing defects, I strongly recommend against using PCBFABEXPRESS.

PCBEX.com seems promising thus far, and I will provide more information to the PCBEX.com review portion of my site as it becomes available. My first set of PCBs from them looks excellent, and the second has been ordered. Hopefully this second set will be just as good as the first.

-Steve

It's rather unfortunate that they wouldn't stand behind their FAQ.

I've been considering using BatchPCB - http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php - they seem okay, and the price is definitely right (at least for small runs or individual pieces of small boards).  It's just the waiting time that leaves something to be desired.

Thanks for putting up those reviews on your site - at some point in the next few months I'm going to need to get some PCBs fabricated!

It's rather unfortunate that they wouldn't stand behind their FAQ.

Not following through with customer service for regular customers (I've placed three orders with them in a couple months) is a great way to lose customers. And with this write-up hopefully they'll either learn their lesson or make way for companies which will do a good job.

I've been considering using BatchPCB - http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php - they seem okay, and the price is definitely right (at least for small runs or individual pieces of small boards).  It's just the waiting time that leaves something to be desired.

That place looks interesting. I remember checking them out a while ago, but the price sort of turned me off. I agree, though, if you want single board runs done they sound great. That said, 5-day turn is about $65 for five boards from some other places, so if you have a use for more than one it might be a better route to go.

Thanks for putting up those reviews on your site - at some point in the next few months I'm going to need to get some PCBs fabricated!

Sure thing. That's what they are there for... To tell people both good and bad experiences. I'd really like to give Advanced Circuits a try, but the quantity I need hasn't been substantial enough yet. Maybe if I get this idea I've had floating around in a board I will, though... Hmm...

-Steve

I can't recommend this service yet, although I will be ordering through them:

http://www.goldphoenixpcb.biz/

... but I have no idea about their policy for defects. I post it here in case others are interested in ordering a big panel. These guys supply to BatchPCB so it is cheaper to go to them direct for a large order.

I just got off the phone with Shiva of PCBFABEXPRESS. After explaining to him that my issue is with a defective board, I think we've reached a resolution. He said that he will check their backstock to see if there are any more copies of my board around there. If so, he'll ship me one. If not, he will have another run of five boards made and ship those.

So, this is looking like a good resolution. I'll update later when I have more solid information.

-Steve

I sympathize but in all fairness setting a tiny isolation on a trace where its not needed from a budget board house is kinda asking for trouble

The board house made particular assurances and failed to meet them on one item. My problem was less with the error (that can happen anywhere and without electrical testing they won't always check it) and more with the way in which it was handled, especially with their company policy stating that they will "immediately" resolve all such problems.

That said, as of right now it appears that everything is being sorted out. I'll probably give them a week to see what happens before I contact them again.

-Steve