Sid module power ? ?

analofbrotha

I am building a basic sid,6581 control A,using a 9v 500ma Dc for core (seems to work)

And 12v 150ma Dc  for sid..I'm not exactly sure where to check pins

C1:Vcc(25) - IC1:Vss(14) = 5V

IC2:Vdd(16) - IC2:Vss(8) = 5V

IC3:Vdd(16) - IC3:Vss(8) = 5V

For core,the 5v works and lcd lights up

But for sid I get wierd readings on ic's but might be checking wrong places.

I went over parts(not many) and everything looks fine.

Could not find a link..Having trouble getting this going.

Any help would be steller!

Thanks

the transformer that he's using outputs 12VAC not DC. rectified to DC = 17ish Volts. transformers are cheaper to buy than PSUs, i guess that's why he got one. i think he also wanted the PSU inside the case, so he could just run a mains cable to the box. you'll get annoyed with having to plug in two wall warts, if that's what you plan to do.

I also plan to put mine in case,,Just the whole unit (the whole wall adaptore) I have installed a different plug.. Thanks for your help..i see Ac DC diference.

So look for 12 ac or 14dc? does the ma matter much what range should I stay between

Again thanks,I have been having troubles,eg.when got kit br1 on core broke(misplaced...duhh)

I am not really a noobie I've been circuit benting modding building kits for years (hobbie)

Searching out psu  . . . . . . . .  this may take a few moments . . .

1 other ?

does the amount of ma effect sound? like a larger ma cause a small hum?

Or does part on pc restrict to only ma used? (sorrry noobish)

thanks for everything

no luck yet with psu,,but delayed alittle with other projects

hope to score one soon,Can't wait to here some sounds..sequence in my beats. :o

make sure you test the transfomer's output with the multimeter set to AC, otherwise your readings will be incorrect (on the IC socket pins, though, check with it set to DC). 12VAC going into the sid will be fine just make sure you check the IC socket pins quoted in the walkthrough before you put in the ICs, just in case!  ;D

on the sid module, you must check that:

IC1:Vdd(28) and IC1:Vss(14) has 12V if you're using a 6581, or 9V if you're using a 8580.

IC1:Vcc(25) - IC1:Vss(14) has 5V

IC2:Vdd(16) - IC2:Vss(8) has 5V

IC3:Vdd(16) - IC3:Vss(8) has 5V

IC1 looks like this, looking down on the IC socket:

28pinicix7.gif

ICs 2 and 3 look like this:

16pin.gif

you'll almost always measure over 12V on a 12V trafo/psu, the fact is you need to get a trafo/ psu that is designed to output more than 12 ie get a 14VDC or a 14VAC one. it's folly getting a 12V one and thinking that because it's measuring 14V on the output, it'll work. they're manufactured to certain tolerances that allow for degradation in the voltage over time (which happens inevitably) so they build them with slightly too much voltage output to give a reasonable working life.

hope this helps.

This was an interresting thread, I finished my MB SID yesterday (photos will be posted soon..) and I did only get 11v instead of 12v for the SID supply (apart from the 5v).

I decided to try it anyway and everything is working fine, except for a very annoying 50hz hum which maybe has something to do with either the low SID supply voltage or the fact that the 64 PSU I'm using is not grounded properly. Anyway, I'll try another C64 PSU tonight.

It's not,I still get the same 9.05 volts?If I see any other 12ac's on the hunt I'll pick em up

just incase,,No luck yet with a 14v dc ,, ahhh friend might have one?

It's a project,Ima just stay patient and enjoy the process,,having lots of fun so far! ;D

hope to learn to program pic in future..net linmited now but soon to become a heavy midibox reader!

Thanks for the help and advice everyone! Very Cool of ya'll! 

;D Cool your first post was on this thread hybrid3! Even better that things are going faily smoothly for you..Wish I could say the same..On the hunt for proper psu..Going out to search again tonight.Oh I hope I can find one soon.Really want to get it in on some tunes..

Yep, I guess things went fairly smooth as I at least got some sounds from the SID (including a terrible humm though..). When I'm back from work I'll try to find the reason why I'm only getting 11v to the SID. I hope you'll be able to sort your voltage issues out as well.

Anyway, I must say I'm very impressed of what I've heard so far from it, despite the humming. Even a plain non-modulated non-filtered pulse wave sounds fat, in comparision to the sterile soft-synths of mine. I'm really looking forward to use it in a tune.