I Broke My JDM :'( ;and I need help fixing it plea

Guest sstandfast

Guest sstandfast

Uh oh guys, I'm back again unfortunately.  It seams that I have somehow broken my JDM Module   :'( Some of the "Old Timers" around here might remember I had some trouble initially getting my JDM to work properly.  The problem would seam to be originating from the R2, Q2, R3, DB8, DB4, and RB7 portion of the programmer but I am getting ahead of myself.  Let me start from the beginning.

1.  What Happened

What happened was one day I was practicing with my PIC, playing around flashing LED's and practicing with buttons and whatnot, I was probably on burn number 5 or 6 for the evening when it broke.  I was performing a write operation when I received a prompt saying that "verify failed at code address 1F00h" and the write was aborted.  When I attempted to restart the writing action I received my all familiar "Verify failed at code address 0000h".  Needless to say I was disappointed.  I then attempted to read the contents of the chip to determine if it was the chip that was damaged or the programmer.  I was confused when the programmer READ the chip!?!   ??? I then compared the data that was read from the chip to the original file that I was trying to burn and they were identical up to code address 1F00h where the programmer failed.  The code entered in the addresses 1F00h-1FFFh was all zeros.  However, the EEPROM addresses did not read correctly and neither did the Configuration.  EEPROM came back as all zeros and configuration came back with default parameters.

2.  What's Happening Now

I have since tried two other PIC's in the programmer with similar results.  The two other chips I tried are brand new chips that have never been used and the results of a read are as follows:

A.  The Program Code addresses return the correct results, i.e. all addresses read 3FFFh, but the EEPROM still reads all zeros and the configuration is not correct either.

B.  Any attempt to program the chip fails at code address 0000h as does blank check.

When I try to erase the original chip, IC-Prog returns saying that the chip has been erased but a read to the chip returns showing that the code is still there.

All of my voltages on the board have remained the same with respect to what they were before the problem.  Here are my voltages just for a reference:

MCLR - 14.05V

VSS - 5.05V

RB7 - 4.56V

RB6 - 4.25V

And as I said, these are the same voltages that I measured before I started having the problem.

3.  My Problem In Summary

To sum up my problem in just a few words I would have to say this:  My programmer quit working in the middle of a write operation.  The programmer still correctly reads the Program Code section of the chip but it cannot correctly read the EEPROM or the configuration.  No write operations can be performed and the device cannot be erased.  All voltages are correct, or are at least consistent with, Pre-Problem measurements.

I don't know what do guys, to me my first suspect was that I somehow fried the transistor but since data is still able to be read from the chip I don't know if i can still suspect the transistor or not.  I have checked continuity between DB4 and DB8 and the emitter and collector of Q2 and I was able to determine continuity between the DB9 and the collector but no continuity between these and the emitter, as would be expected.

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated as this one stumps me.

Thanks,

Shawn

P.S.  I apologize about the length of this post, I tried to keep it as brief as possible but still try to describe the problem as best I can.

Guest sstandfast

Uh oh guys, I'm back again unfortunately.  It seams that I have somehow broken my JDM Module   :'( Some of the "Old Timers" around here might remember I had some trouble initially getting my JDM to work properly.  The problem would seam to be originating from the R2, Q2, R3, DB8, DB4, and RB7 portion of the programmer but I am getting ahead of myself.  Let me start from the beginning.

1.  What Happened

What happened was one day I was practicing with my PIC, playing around flashing LED's and practicing with buttons and whatnot, I was probably on burn number 5 or 6 for the evening when it broke.  I was performing a write operation when I received a prompt saying that "verify failed at code address 1F00h" and the write was aborted.  When I attempted to restart the writing action I received my all familiar "Verify failed at code address 0000h".  Needless to say I was disappointed.  I then attempted to read the contents of the chip to determine if it was the chip that was damaged or the programmer.  I was confused when the programmer READ the chip!?!   ??? I then compared the data that was read from the chip to the original file that I was trying to burn and they were identical up to code address 1F00h where the programmer failed.  The code entered in the addresses 1F00h-1FFFh was all zeros.  However, the EEPROM addresses did not read correctly and neither did the Configuration.  EEPROM came back as all zeros and configuration came back with default parameters.

2.  What's Happening Now

I have since tried two other PIC's in the programmer with similar results.  The two other chips I tried are brand new chips that have never been used and the results of a read are as follows:

A.  The Program Code addresses return the correct results, i.e. all addresses read 3FFFh, but the EEPROM still reads all zeros and the configuration is not correct either.

B.  Any attempt to program the chip fails at code address 0000h as does blank check.

When I try to erase the original chip, IC-Prog returns saying that the chip has been erased but a read to the chip returns showing that the code is still there.

All of my voltages on the board have remained the same with respect to what they were before the problem.  Here are my voltages just for a reference:

MCLR - 14.05V

VSS - 5.05V

RB7 - 4.56V

RB6 - 4.25V

And as I said, these are the same voltages that I measured before I started having the problem.

3.  My Problem In Summary

To sum up my problem in just a few words I would have to say this:  My programmer quit working in the middle of a write operation.  The programmer still correctly reads the Program Code section of the chip but it cannot correctly read the EEPROM or the configuration.  No write operations can be performed and the device cannot be erased.  All voltages are correct, or are at least consistent with, Pre-Problem measurements.

I don't know what do guys, to me my first suspect was that I somehow fried the transistor but since data is still able to be read from the chip I don't know if i can still suspect the transistor or not.  I have checked continuity between DB4 and DB8 and the emitter and collector of Q2 and I was able to determine continuity between the DB9 and the collector but no continuity between these and the emitter, as would be expected.

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated as this one stumps me.

Thanks,

Shawn

P.S.  I apologize about the length of this post, I tried to keep it as brief as possible but still try to describe the problem as best I can.

Guest sstandfast

No, I have not tried to burn the chip in circuit, and as I left the jumper required for ICSP off in my JDM I do not immediately have the capability to do so.  Should I go back and add in this jumper and retry to program using ICSP?

But on a side note that is not very re-assuring that the all-mighty Thorsten has not ever came across a similar problem before.  I know it is very difficult to remote diagnose a circuit, and I don't expect you guys to, I was just hoping for some guidence to help point me in the right direction.

Again, any input will be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Guest sstandfast

No, I have not tried to burn the chip in circuit, and as I left the jumper required for ICSP off in my JDM I do not immediately have the capability to do so.  Should I go back and add in this jumper and retry to program using ICSP?

But on a side note that is not very re-assuring that the all-mighty Thorsten has not ever came across a similar problem before.  I know it is very difficult to remote diagnose a circuit, and I don't expect you guys to, I was just hoping for some guidence to help point me in the right direction.

Again, any input will be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

Using the ICP option while the PIC is also powered by an external supply could be a possible reason why your JDM has been damaged. Ok, since you didn't use this option and used the JDM standalone, since the programmer failed during the burn process, since the MCLR voltage is very high compared to the recommented value, a possible reason could be that you destroyed the internal programming unit of your PIC. But exchanging the transistors to ensure this shouldn't hurt - on the other hand I never heard (from more than 100 users) that the transistors get damaged after some burning processes.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Using the ICP option while the PIC is also powered by an external supply could be a possible reason why your JDM has been damaged. Ok, since you didn't use this option and used the JDM standalone, since the programmer failed during the burn process, since the MCLR voltage is very high compared to the recommented value, a possible reason could be that you destroyed the internal programming unit of your PIC. But exchanging the transistors to ensure this shouldn't hurt - on the other hand I never heard (from more than 100 users) that the transistors get damaged after some burning processes.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sstandfast,

I have had wierd problems programming data when I have failed to set all the configuration options correctly. Make sure you set ALL of the options up in accordance with Thorsten's How to program page, noting that it has been updated a few times, and may be different to when you last looked. Failing that, maybe you could post a request on this forum for someone nearby to you to check your chips are ok?

good luck.....

from Steve ;)

Hey sstandfast,

I have had wierd problems programming data when I have failed to set all the configuration options correctly. Make sure you set ALL of the options up in accordance with Thorsten's How to program page, noting that it has been updated a few times, and may be different to when you last looked. Failing that, maybe you could post a request on this forum for someone nearby to you to check your chips are ok?

good luck.....

from Steve ;)

Guest sstandfast

Hey guys, I'm back with an update on my JDM.  Upon Thorsten's instance that it would be unlikely that the transistor had burnt out, I waited until I had an oppertunity to use my programmer on a different machine before I tore it apart.  So I finally tore myself away from campus this weekend and went home where I could re-test it.  My results are as follows:  IT STILL WORKS!!!

Conclusions:  I know that the configuration settings in IC-Prog on my machine at school are still set up correctly as I had checked them on several occasions so I'm guessing that either I am forgetting a step on my computer or I somehow damaged my serial port on my motherboard with the latter being highly unlikely.

I am running Win2K on my machine at school.  I have the 2000 driver installed for IC-Prog and it has worked in the past.  Tips, tricks, or advise would be appreciated, otherwise I will just do all of my programming from home as this semester is almost finished with anyway.   ;D

Well, thanks for the input guys.  I am sure that I'll be back here before too long.

Shawn

Guest sstandfast

Hey guys, I'm back with an update on my JDM.  Upon Thorsten's instance that it would be unlikely that the transistor had burnt out, I waited until I had an oppertunity to use my programmer on a different machine before I tore it apart.  So I finally tore myself away from campus this weekend and went home where I could re-test it.  My results are as follows:  IT STILL WORKS!!!

Conclusions:  I know that the configuration settings in IC-Prog on my machine at school are still set up correctly as I had checked them on several occasions so I'm guessing that either I am forgetting a step on my computer or I somehow damaged my serial port on my motherboard with the latter being highly unlikely.

I am running Win2K on my machine at school.  I have the 2000 driver installed for IC-Prog and it has worked in the past.  Tips, tricks, or advise would be appreciated, otherwise I will just do all of my programming from home as this semester is almost finished with anyway.   ;D

Well, thanks for the input guys.  I am sure that I'll be back here before too long.

Shawn