MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox SID of cd_cd)

cd_cd

Did you make the frontpanel yourself (drilling etc...)?

Why not 4 SID's theres room enough  ;)

BTW I see that you use oscillators for the 1MHz SID clock. Why not use the 1MHz from the 1st core?

Yes – I did the frontpanel myself. For me that was the easiest part of the job since I can only built electonical devices like cooking with a cookbook in front of me (I'm a graphic designer, not an engineer). And that explains the 1MHz ....

An other simple explanation: At the time I started the project I only had three SIDs ....

One short Question – I read the answer anyware, but I cant find it on all the websites about the MidiBox-SID-Project.

The following effect appears while testing the device: Both of my 6581 still play the last tone after releasing the keyboard (and after the end of the envelope). The 8580 does not have this effect.

Is that normal? What can I do to keep the Synth silent when it is supposed to be?

Thanx

Christian

The following effect appears while testing the device: Both of my 6581 still play the last tone after releasing the keyboard (and after the end of the envelope). The 8580 does not have this effect.

Is that normal? What can I do to keep the Synth silent when it is supposed to be?

I've read this somewhere in one of the MB-SID-pages... unfortunately i can't remember exactly where.

The only words about this I know exactly are:

"...that's a well known issue of the 6581..."

(feel free to correct me if there's a mistake)

I can't remember having read anything to avoid this...

but I think TK mentioned to use a compressor or an expander as this is better for more powerful sounds anyway...

hope this helps  :)

matthias

• 2 weeks later...
Another point which I noticed and which will affect the sound architecture is the damned SID envelope bug. The VCA envelope of the previous sound can affect the envelope of the new sound (hick ups). One measure to compensate this is to clear the envelope registers when the sound is finished (the required delay could be calculated from the ADSR settings). Another possibility is to clear the registers, to wait some time (I don't know how long), and to play the new sound thereafter... this would increase the latency... however, lets see

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It has been said so it shall be :-D