Why would i want to use SIL headers?

carsten_the_dane

And if you use SIL connectors, it's a lot easier to diagnose what's wrong when you can just unplug a module and test it independantly, which is why I like using connectors and never soldering wires to the headers.

Definitely a good idea to use the connectors - I'm going to do that for my next unit.  I didn't have any on hand, so I just soldered the wires to the headers.  It works, but it then becomes a pain to mount everything in the case because it's all attached together in a big rat's nest (and that was just for a SID CS_A!).

• 2 weeks later...

how do you solder silheaders properly? i hardwired the modules together but i am also using these headers for everything connected to din and dout. anyway those things keep giving me a hard time. when you move the cables while u test somethin or if you plug and unblug the flatcables bend and there are always some fibres of the cable breaking and bending away from the solderjoints producing almost invisible shortcircuits or disconnections. i tried putting a lot of flux on the joints to prevent any fibres from breaking loose but i still have big problems. 

you only solder the SIL or DIL headers to the PCB. you then use IDC connectors to connect flat ribbon cable to the PCB.

they look like this:

618-8900.jpg

the ribbon cable goes in between the two parts, and then they are crimped together. it then fits onto the SIL or DIL header.

hope this helps.

can you give me the itemnumber from reichelt? i have those buchsenleisten, that you can break to the desired length. those are exactly the ones i am experiencing the problems with as they are intended for printmounting. i cant see any for crimping at reichelt. maybe i am blind

edit: maybe i am really blind... do you talk about: PSK 254/8W Kupplungs-Leergehäuse, Crimptechnik, 8-polig? if i only found these earlier...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

you only solder the SIL or DIL headers to the PCB. you then use IDC connectors to connect flat ribbon cable to the PCB.

they look like this:

618-8900.jpg

the ribbon cable goes in between the two parts, and then they are crimped together. it then fits onto the SIL or DIL header.

hope this helps.

Are there things like this that are for one row by two holes or one row by four holes? It seems the quick crimping things like this only come in 2x4 or bigger.

isn't this what you need? c2p.jpg if not then you might probably be better saving your time and just get some high quality crimps to solder to some wire and put some heat shrink over it. Then the crimped cable can be directly inserted into the header. I found it the best way for trouble shooting certain areas of the boards. I would still use certain IDC connectors for 1 to 1 connections. Hope this helps

Has anyone got a uk source for these. I've not been able to find anything suitable at Rapid or Farnell.

Farnell is never the easiest site to navigate, for the DIL sockets use

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc6fd010-30p1/socket-idc-with-s-relief-10way/dp/1099236?_requestid=520481

For SIL you will need pins and housings,

http://uk.farnell.com/molex/90119-2110/crimp-socket-22-24awg/dp/9733272?_requestid=520223

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/level5/module.jsp?moduleId=en/209512.xml

Cheers

Phil