Desolder ANY-thing this way

pay_c

Hi!  ;D

Just found that here (VERY interesting in my opinion): http://www.ulrichradig.de/home/index.php/tipps_tricks/tipp1

He suggests to use a one-time needle from your local drug store (used in medicine mostly) with dimensions of either 0,9 mm x 40 mm or 0,8 mm x 40 mm (in Germany these are the yellow and the green cap things - I dunno if it´s like that international, too). Just sand the tips a little bit (so you can´t hurt yourself TO easily ;) ) and voila: Desolderer ready.

If you heat up the solder point and stick the needle over it (while keeping it hot), you can easily seperate the solder pad and the part to desolder as the needle tip is made out of noble metal and so the solder won´t stick there. Just let the stuff cool down while the needle is over the whole assembly. After cooling down turn it a little bit (so the needle get´s loose again), pull the needle away and that´s it. Do that with all the solder joints and the part is free. Works with all parts (even IC´s) and is (in my opinion) one of the best methods up to now!

What do you think?

BTW: This guy also has good suggestions to desolder SMD´s, and tin self-made PCBs at the cost of no nothing nearly (some 7.- Euros invest for tinning appr. 100 160x100 PCBs) if you have a hot air gun somewhere.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like a great idea, with just one small caveat.

In some places you cannot just walk into a shop and buy some syringe needles - they look at you sort of sideways as if you are going to use them for something other than desoldering !  Know what I mean ?  ::) 

Over here we need a doctor's prescription to get them - like people with diabetes, etc.

Any ideas for another source of supply ?  ???   

Otherwise - a very usesull tip. I've been building electronics projects for about 40 years and never though of it before.  :-[

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sounds like a great idea, with just one small caveat.

In some places you cannot just walk into a shop and buy some syringe needles - they look at you sort of sideways as if you are going to use them for something other than desoldering !   Know what I mean ?  ::)   

Over here we need a doctor's prescription to get them - like people with diabetes, etc.

Any ideas for another source of supply ?  ???   

Otherwise - a very usesull tip. I've been building electronics projects for about 40 years and never though of it before.  :-[

you can get needles and syringes on ebay.